San Diego or Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego or Portland

I have two job prospects in either city (SD for sure, Portland is a big possibility). Which city would you rather live in and why?

Re: San Diego or Portland

Portland... because it's not in California. Plus Portland is the ish!

Comment

Just moved to Portland and I'm loving it so far. The weather is mild, they've got the best microbrews in the world, the people are friendly, you're one hour from the mountains, one hour from the beach, and you're surrounded by forests. The city of Portland is clean, progressive, and the people love their basketball. Another nice thing about Oregon is that there's no sales tax.

Comment

Vacation in San Diego. Live in Portland.

Disclaimer: I am a homer for the Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Port. Land.

I would kill to find work there before my lease is up in August. Love the outdoorsy-ness, the microbrews, the progressive culture that embraces public transit and sustainable development practices, etc.

Comment

Portland has some of the best breweries in America and a gorgeous coastline.

San Diego has sunshine, old people and beaches. (Like much of Florida.)

Advantage Oregon.

Comment

I'm thinking Portland fits me a lot more and I'm guessing it has a way better music scene than San Diego. One pretty big benefit about San Diego is that I'd have a free place to stay until June.

How is the weather in Portland? Does it really have that many overcast/rainy days?

Comment

"Clean and progressive"= white people's way of saying a city is predominately white?

Comment

[quote author=bedouinsoundclash link=topic=3523.msg40666#msg40666 date=1297114963]
                  I'm thinking Portland fits me a lot more and I'm guessing it has a way better music scene than San Diego. One pretty big benefit about San Diego is that I'd have a free place to stay until June.

How is the weather in Portland? Does it really have that many overcast/rainy days?
                  [/quote]

It's a little overcast, but it doesn't rain as much as people say it does. You'll get a little drizzle from time-to-time, but it's not like it constantly rains cats and dogs. The winters are really mild as well. It rarely snows, and the coldest it gets is mid 30's. Right now it's about 50 degrees and overcast. Most of the trees/flowers are already in bloom, and it feels like spring is right around the corner. I've also heard that the summers here are incredible.

Comment

[quote author=bedouinsoundclash link=topic=3523.msg40668#msg40668 date=1297115122]
                    "Clean and progressive"= white people's way of saying a city is predominately white?
                    [/quote]
                    Yes, or at least severely segregated.

Comment

[quote author=bedouinsoundclash link=topic=3523.msg40666#msg40666 date=1297114963]

[/quote]

Portland is slightly sunnier and warmer than Seattle overall, but, yes, it is still going to be gloomy a lot of the year.

The summers are absolutely amazing....sunny and warm (but not hot and humid). The fall months are pretty good....an extension of summer with slightly more rain and cooler temps. When compared to the midwest winter, I would take a winter in the PNW any day of the week. When you were getting slammed by ice and snow and frigid temps last week, we enjoyed a few partly cloudy days with temps in the low 50s and a few days with drizzle and high 40s. The lows rarely get below freezing. A typical February day would be overcast with a high of 48 and a low of 44. The spring season is the hardest for me here....summer takes a LONG time to get here. The gloom doesn't usually lift til about the 4th of July. But you deal with it and learn to take your vacations between the months of January and May (see my recent Hawaii thread).

And when it is sunny up here.....LOOK THE FUCK OUT.....it is the most beautiful place in the country.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3523.msg40673#msg40673 date=1297115331]

[/quote]

Portland is slightly sunnier and warmer than Seattle overall, but, yes, it is still going to be gloomy a lot of the year.

The summers are absolutely amazing....sunny and warm (but not hot and humid). The fall months are pretty good....an extension of summer with slightly more rain and cooler temps. When compared to the midwest winter, I would take a winter in the PNW any day of the week. When you were getting slammed by ice and snow and frigid temps last week, we enjoyed a few partly cloudy days with temps in the low 50s and a few days with drizzle and high 40s. The lows rarely get below freezing. A typical February day would be overcast with a high of 48 and a low of 44. The spring season is the hardest for me here....summer takes a LONG time to get here. The gloom doesn't usually lift til about the 4th of July. But you deal with it and learn to take your vacations between the months of January and May (see my recent Hawaii thread).

And when it is sunny up here.....LOOK THE FUCK OUT.....it is the most beautiful place in the country.
                        [/quote]

Do you ever go to A&L Sports Pub for the KU watch parties?

Comment

Another serious question: How are the wimmenz in Portland?

Comment

[quote author=bedouinsoundclash link=topic=3523.msg40686#msg40686 date=1297117872]
                            Another serious question: How are the wimmenz in Portland?
                            [/quote]

There are a lot of hotties up here, and they're fairly easy. It's a very active city, with lots of biking, hiking, and stuff like that, so there's not as many fatties, either. I've also heard that Portland has the best strip clubs in the country (outside of Vegas).

Comment

Oh, and there's a reason why Oregon cheerleaders are world famous:

Comment

Working...
                              X