Car advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car advice needed

Anyone ever done or know someone who did a diesel to vegetable oil fuel conversion? I'm considering getting an older Mercedes diesel and converting it to use vegetable oil.

Considering I drive 70 miles round trip to work each day I could save some cash on gas.

Re: Car advice needed

there are a couple of shops who restore and convert benzes here in LA. if you're going to burn grease, you have to be able to procure, treat and store gallons of it. the cars can burn grease without any modification, if I recall, but to burn biodeisel, then need new lines and hoses, which will run you about a grand.

I had an old 300D back in the day. they're good cars, but don't underestimate how differently a 4000lb car with 92 horsepower drives than whatever you're driving now.

http://www.lovecraftbiofuels.com/

Comment

I might have a chance to pick up a 1996 E300D local. Does the conversion drop HP?

Comment

I wouldn't think that the parts for conversion affect horsepower, and you'd think that there are just as many hydrocarbons in grease as there are in diesel, or you'd never get combustion at all. the E300Ds probably have more efficient engines than my 1981 300D. if the price is right, I'd go for it. you can always sell it to some hippie kid so they can tour with Phish.

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D
        Rear-Wheel Drive
        Engine layout I6
        Horsepower 134 hp @ 5000
        Torque 155 lb-ft @ 2600
        Compression ratio 22.0:1
        Displacement 2996 cc
        Valvetrain 24/DOHC
        Horsepower per litre 44.73
        Sizes and Capacities
        Height 56 in
        Width 70 in