Remodelers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remodelers?

Posting that picture of my family room made me think I should ask for some advice here about some remodeling I want to do.

My husband thinks I have lost it. But here is the deal. We bought this house because we loved the huge family room. Here are some pictures of the area that I took in the fall. It's hard to do it justice but the area is really big. Now I feel like it is almost TOO big. In addition, I feel cramped in the kitchen area. Would I love to do is expand the kitchen area while making the family room more intimate. Here are some pictures to give an idea of what I am working with:

[img width=600 height=450]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2845/dscn0437v.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/2121/dscn0443r.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2394/dscn0439j.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/2114/dscn0440r.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4751/dscn0442m.jpg[/img]

If you'll notice in the pictures, there is an arched entryway that leads back to our formal eating and dining areas. That arch looks like a natural break in the architecture to go to work. What I would love to do is rip out the carpet along that line and replace it with hardwoods. As you can see, right now that space behind the couch is pretty much wasted anyway. If I could make it hardwood, I would then move the kitchen table onto that space.

Then....and here is my question....I would ideally LOVE to take that center island and move it back away from the fridge more (into the space where the kitchen table is now). I could then put up some bar stools there (right now it's too crowded) and open up the space in the kitchen.

So.....my question is....would that be a huge pain with the plumbing already set? As an alternative, I could just "flip" the island so that it is facing out toward the family room. I think I could do that without messing the plumbing, right?

How much would something like this run me? Any other suggestions welcome.

Worse case, I figure I can just rip out the carpet in that section and put down the hardwood and leave the island where it is. I can then put in the bar stools and use that extra kitchen space for something else.....like putting in a desk against the back wall for the kids to work.

Or I can just quit being a baby and forget the whole thing.

Re: Remodelers?

Can you share pics of basement please?

Comment

Sorry bbsb, but this sounds like a lot of work/cost that isn't necessary to me. I would tell my wife just to live with it because it isn't that big of a deal (unless you just have all kinds of expendable income that is burning holes in your wallets).

Comment

Translated into man:

"look how big my house is"

Comment

Just throw in a pool table behind the couch.

Problem solved.

Comment

As a husband, I have to say this is just a bad idea, huge headache, and expensive, but I'd still end up doing it.

Comment

lol pink curtains

Comment

I'll use my first post for this.

Chances are the hardwoods were laid up to the island and not beneath it. If that is the case, you'll have a large area of bare sub-floor (plywood) if you were to move the island. The good news is that it would be easier to access the plumbing and electric to move. The bad news is the spot without hardwoods, although a floor guy would be able to patch that in. This would be especially true if he was already doing the rest of your area that is currently carpet. He'd sand down what you currently have to match the new stuff anyway.

Comment

[quote author=IAm42'sRagingBileDuct link=topic=3394.msg38747#msg38747 date=1296161766]
                  lol pink curtains
                  [/quote]

lol you have to wear purple and silver. I get to wear crimson and blue.

(and for real, the curtains are most definitely NOT pink. I don't have my husband's balls in my pocket THAT much).

I suspected I would get this response from you all. Maybe I will just leave the island (for now) and lobby to rip up that section of carpet. It's not that big of an area...I am sure it can't cost that much. Or I'll just give the kids some sharp tools and tell them to have at it.

Comment

SRS RESPONSE TIME. My mom went on a personal quest to get almost the entire house remodeled the semester before I graduated undergrad. Only like 25% of the remodeling was actually somewhat necessary. It ended up being over budget and a massive pain in the ass for everyone involved (I was about ready to snap at her by March, it got that bad). With your young kids around, the stress level of your husband and yourself will only go up. The fact that your husband thinks you're insane for the suggestion is just an even worse sign.

I wouldn't do it, personally. It just doesn't seem worth it based on the fact that this process, which you've basically admitted is based on a whim, would cause a major disruption to everyone in your family.

/internetsrsbsns

Also, grey jerseys were the shit. WOULD TAKE over any garbage thrift store jerseys you have in Lawrencetucky. And you still have pink curtains.

Comment

[quote author=Nguyen Bee link=topic=3394.msg38748#msg38748 date=1296162081]
                      I'll use my first post for this.

Chances are the hardwoods were laid up to the island and not beneath it. If that is the case, you'll have a large area of bare sub-floor (plywood) if you were to move the island. The good news is that it would be easier to access the plumbing and electric to move. The bad news is the spot without hardwoods, although a floor guy would be able to patch that in. This would be especially true if he was already doing the rest of your area that is currently carpet. He'd sand down what you currently have to match the new stuff anyway.
                      [/quote]

Thank you for your serious response. I can't count on the rest of these jokers for anything. (although I am heartended I haven't got any play from my continual mention of hard wood).

I never thought of that hardwood issue. One of the reasons I would rather do this sooner rather than later is b/c they are still finishing construction in our neighborhood. It would be easy to contract the same company to do this and they would have the same wood still available.

Comment

[quote author=IAm42'sRagingBileDuct link=topic=3394.msg38750#msg38750 date=1296162496]
                        SRS RESPONSE TIME. My mom went on a personal quest to get almost the entire house remodeled the semester before I graduated undergrad. Only like 25% of the remodeling was actually somewhat necessary. It ended up being over budget and a massive pain in the ass for everyone involved (I was about ready to snap at her by March, it got that bad). With your young kids around, the stress level of your husband and yourself will only go up. The fact that your husband thinks you're insane for the suggestion is just an even worse sign.

I wouldn't do it, personally. It just doesn't seem worth it based on the fact that this process, which you've basically admitted is based on a whim, would cause a major disruption to everyone in your family.

/internetsrsbsns

Also, grey jerseys were the shit. WOULD TAKE over any garbage thrift store jerseys you have in Lawrencetucky. And you still have pink curtains.
                        [/quote]

It's not exactly a "whim". It's been bugging me ever since we moved in here. Those pictures were actually taken last fall (as evidenced by the fall decor and the newborn baby) that I took for another friend to get his opinion on the matter.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3394.msg38752#msg38752 date=1296162695]
                          [quote author=IAm42'sRagingBileDuct link=topic=3394.msg38750#msg38750 date=1296162496]

/internetsrsbsns

[/quote]

It's not exactly a "whim". It's been bugging me ever since we moved in here. Those pictures were actually taken last fall (as evidenced by the fall decor and the newborn baby) that I took for another friend to get his opinion on the matter.
                          [/quote]

Well, if it's going to annoy you every single day that you walk in your house, then w/e. This is AMERICA and all that. But if I had a wife (rofl) who basically came to me about something potentially time-consuming and expensive that really didn't seem all that necessary, I'd basically do everything short of a hunger strike to get her to change her mind.

Comment

[quote author=IAm42'sRagingBileDuct link=topic=3394.msg38753#msg38753 date=1296162865]
                            something potentially time-consuming and expensive that really didn't seem all that necessary,
                            [/quote]

ALSO APPLIES TO CHILDREN

/notmarriedwithkids

//trollingbbsbm

///gocats

Comment

No problem. Looking at the pictures again, I'm assuming that there are cabinets on the other side which would include a dishwasher (not you, a powered dishwasher). It looks like they framed and sheetrocked an area, and installed the cabinets and countertop. If this is the case, the framed walls would just be torn down and re-established wherever you wanted them.

Comment

Working...
                              X