No announcement yet.

Has anyone here built a streaming HTPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here built a streaming HTPC?

I'm looking into doing it. I've see the Acer build on lifehacker and am contemplating going that route. Anyone else done anything different? Or should I say fuck it and just buy an apple tv? I'm more or less set up to run Windows Media Center as is with my xbox and desktop but thought it would be nice to have a little standalone unit with tons of shit on it.

Re: Has anyone here built a streaming HTPC?

if I recall, the new generation of apple tvs don't have drives. so you can stream, but the files have to live somewhere else. if you want something for streaming only, I absolutely love the roku.

I have the old apple TV that has a drive for storage, and I'm not crazy about it, and would consider an interesting trade.

Comment

the one thing about the Acer setup is how cool the XMBC set up is. You can customize the hell out if it. Th drawback of boxee and Roku, or so I've heard, is the lack of that. Then you read all of these people who hack those to pieces, along with Apple TV, and then I think, what's the point in even buying one of those then.

I'm also thinking about hacking my kids wii to stream all of her games. Thought that might be cool.

Comment

streaming wii.

Comment

I looked a little at HTPC, but went the low cost route by getting a Roku and installing a web server on my normal desktop pc to leverage Roxsbox on the Roku. I can download movies and whatever content, then stream it on my Roku. Only drawback is that you can't do Hulu.

Comment

I went ahead and bought a Apple TV for the bedroom. MY wife can rent a movie or two and stream Netflix. I also imagine that at some point, it will get better. I'm going to buy another XBOX I think and run Windows Media Center everywhere else + Amazon VOD. All of these systems have their drawbacks. That's the tough part about making a decision.

When you say you're running a webserver, what do you mean? YOu mean just storing and streaming from there?

[quote author=Udeyhawk link=topic=3323.msg39059#msg39059 date=1296339059]
            I looked a little at HTPC, but went the low cost route by getting a Roku and installing a web server on my normal desktop pc to leverage Roxsbox on the Roku. I can download movies and whatever content, then stream it on my Roku. Only drawback is that you can't do Hulu.
            [/quote]

Comment

Working...
            X