What is your overall outlook on the world/future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your overall outlook on the world/future

I'm no phoggybottom crackpot and try to keep a positive outlook on life. However, as I watch the news and read the papers, I can't help but think that in my lifetime things on the little blue dot are going to go to shit. Whether it's water, food or oil, I can't foresee having enough of it to go around. This isn't something that science can really solve, though most people expect it to. Too many people, not enough resources. Now, we're probably better suited to deal with it in the US, in the midwest for sure, but our compatriots in the southwest and parts of the south east and our friends in the Middle East and Africa are going to be straight fucked.

Just wondering if I'm the only one. :runaway: :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Re: What is your overall outlook on the world/future

The world is going to end in 2012, duh. The Mayans said so.

Comment

I don't believe in Mayans. Like the Knights Templar, they were fabricated by historians to sell books.

Comment

Water will be the next oil. The Bush family has been buying massive amount of land in South America that have water depositories under the soil. Damn them for being rich and wanting to get richer. I'm gonna buy Clinton Lake.

Comment

I don't want to sound like I have a tinfoil hat on my head, but I've been saying for many years that my greatest fear for our civilization is over-population. There is a finite number of resources and area on our planet. At some point, it can't sustain X number of people.

It actually pisses me off when people have 6,7,8+ kids and just think that it's god's gift. No, it is selfish to the rest of us. At some point (probably not in my lifetime), there will have to be a limit to the number of kids you are able to reproduce. Like, 1 offspring per person. It sounds like some science fiction movie, but I believe this will be the case someday.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=3171.msg36092#msg36092 date=1294934215]
            Water will be the next oil. The Bush family has been buying massive amount of land in South America that have water depositories under the soil. Damn them for being rich and wanting to get richer. I'm gonna buy Clinton Lake.
            [/quote]

[img width=405 height=600]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/[email protected]@._ V1._SX550_SY814_.jpg[/img]

Comment

most certainly. Locally, my understanding is that T. Boone's move into wind energy is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to create utility easements (or something like that) to transport water. He's already heavily invested in water=the largest private owner of water in the US.

Most of the middle east has sustained itself on fossil water aquifers that are running dry. Saudi Arabia in fact expects to import all wheat by 2015. Further, I think SA went into Ethiopia and bought up a shit ton of acreage around the Blue Nile to grow their crops. The irony there is Ethiopians are on food aid while all of their sustainable land is used by another country to grow and export the food. Also, this will no doubt fuck with the Nile and in turn cause a ton of friction with Egypt.

On top of all that, desertification is fucking countries up too. Besides some South American countries, a quarter of China's land is or is becoming desert.

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=3171.msg36092#msg36092 date=1294934215]
              [/quote]

Comment

There's a great little documentary that came out a year or so ago called Collapse (not related to the book). It's essentially an interview with a guy name Michael Ruppert who, while admittedly a crackpot on some things, makes a ton of salient points about the state of things. It's certainly worth a watch. I think you can stream it on Netflix now and maybe find it elsewhere.

Comment

We need vorsk in on the water conversation. He's got all sorts of fun facts. I do agree, water is the next oil fight.

Comment

Whenever you buy property, always check the status of the water, ROW and mineral rights. Often they are stripped off and sold by the previous owner, or the previous, previous owner, etc.

A lot of people are kicking themselves in North Dakota right now, because they didn't check their agreements. Their neighbors who did are laughing themselves to the bank.

Comment

There is a basic biological principle called "carrying capacity." I'm also of the opinion that this world is full of idiots. I'm also of the opinion that the idiots are disproportionally populating the world. In the form of a formula this all lines up such that the right of the equals sign yield's "we're fucked."

If you're smart please bang. If you're an idiot please wrap that rascal.

Of course other biological principles may solve the problem..........

Comment

[quote author=ShooterFlatch link=topic=3171.msg36111#msg36111 date=1294937442]
                        There is a basic biological principle called "carrying capacity." I'm also of the opinion that this world is full of idiots. I'm also of the opinion that the idiots are disproportionally populating the world. In the form of a formula this all lines up such that the right of the equals sign yield's "we're fucked."

[/quote]

Don't worry about these things. If you're smart, you'll have less children, but they'll also be in a better position for success when there are limited resources. It's coldly pragmatic, but it's the core of how R vs. K techniques work in the wild.

Comment

Future famine is a definite possibility because of over crowding and the dwindling of natural resources that we depend on for our survival. Water is #1 on this list.

Water is too. The Ogallalah Aquifer in western Kansas is a finite resource that doesn't recharge because of the geology in the area. The fact that we continue to grow corn out there and have feed lots, and other stuff in an area that gets about 18 inches of precipitation a year baffles me. We have only been pulling off this massive aquifer for about 55 years and we have depleted it greatly.

There is very little willingness in western Kansas to change this practice. It cracks me up that some of the people who depend on the land for their livelihoods are so quick to ignore conservation.

Some of the more riparian states in the east may run into the problem of not having enough clean water to drink.

California sucks the entire south western United States dry. The Colorado river that carved the Grand Canyon piddles out into a small saline pool and doesn't even reach the ocean anymore.

This is just in the US where we are more developed. Think of other countries that don't have the regulations that even we have here.

There will have to be a major shift in practice in the next few centuries.

Comment

[quote author=ShooterFlatch link=topic=3171.msg36111#msg36111 date=1294937442]

[/quote]

At current resource usage/availability, the median carrying capacity of the earth is estimated to be about 10 billion. Earth's population is around 6.9 billion currently. Things are going to get very interesting soon if we can't force a change in our living habits.

Comment

[quote author=Hawker007 link=topic=3171.msg36093#msg36093 date=1294934411]
                              I don't want to sound like I have a tinfoil hat on my head, but I've been saying for many years that my greatest fear for our civilization is over-population. There is a finite number of resources and area on our planet. At some point, it can't sustain X number of people.

It actually pisses me off when people have 6,7,8+ kids and just think that it's god's gift. No, it is selfish to the rest of us. At some point (probably not in my lifetime), there will have to be a limit to the number of kids you are able to reproduce. Like, 1 offspring per person. It sounds like some science fiction movie, but I believe this will be the case someday.
                              [/quote]

I don't like it when people have kids but can't support them/give them a good life.

My fucking idiot step-cousin for example. She's 24. 4 kids. No college degree (went to community college for a year). Her husband is a shift manager at a Wal-Mart. Nice life guys. Good luck giving FOUR kids what they need and putting them through college.

Comment

Working...
                              X