Biggest Blizzard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Blizzard

What's the biggest snow storm you have been in? I was in the 39 inch Denver blizzard in March 2003. I've never seen so much snow fall in that amount of time. I think the next closest storm was 15-16 inches in Ames, IA. Laramie, WY might have been 13 inches.

That Denver storm was just crazy. I think it started to snow on Monday and we didn't leave the apartment until Wednesday afternoon.

Re: Biggest Blizzard

I was in that same storm CStop. It was unbelievable. Everything was shut down for about 3 days. We went to the Candlelight bar for a couple of those days. The cool thing about it was that it was just an extreme heavy wet snow, it wasn't really windy so it wasn't that uncomfortable.

A few years later there were two Blizzards in Denver that were a week apart right around Christmas. The snow wasn't even half gone from the first one that had at least 2 feet when the second one hit dumping about 28 more inches. That one was bad because the side streets just got huge ruts and were packed down ice. It took about a month for it all to finally go away, but the streets were heavily damaged.

Comment

I just went through a 16-20" storm here in St. Paul. Honestly, it was a mild hassle, because they are ridiculously good at snow removal up here. It was the -20 wind chill that made it intolerable. We've gotten some more snow since then. We're approaching the record for snowfall in the month of December here in the cities.

I think there were some other storms from my childhood in the Chicago area that could beat that one day total, but I don't think they were that bitterly cold.

Comment

I've been in worse ice storms than snow storms, but probably the most snow I've been in was ~12"

Comment

Two years ago in March, 18+ inches in Hutch. Most of it was blowing. Started Friday at noon ended sometime Saturday. Sunday was 40+ degrees outside and after the plows went through the streets opened up pretty good. The stuff was gone by Tuesday. I watched us lose to Michigan State in the sweet sixteen that night at the neighbors and then had to trudge home through the blizzard to my house.

As for ice storms, I've seen several bad ones.

Comment

We usually don't get huge amounts of snow in KY, but the worst I've been in was around 14-15 inches in the early 90's. I was a junior or senior in HS, so it would've been around '93 or '94. School was closed for a week.

We had a pretty bad ice storm just two years ago. Everything was covered in an inch of solid ice. You can imagine what the trees and power lines looked like. My house was without power for 9 days, my Mom and Dad didn't get theirs back for 2 weeks. A guy I work with lives even farther out and his was out for over 3 weeks. The worst part for me was having to keep my sump pump running off a generator the entire time for fear of my basement flooding after it warmed up a little and it all started to melt. Living off generators for weeks at a time sucks.

Comment

[quote author=thedeerehunter link=topic=2944.msg33418#msg33418 date=1293556412]
              We usually don't get huge amounts of snow in KY, but the worst I've been in was around 14-15 inches in the early 90's. I was a junior or senior in HS, so it would've been around '93 or '94. School was closed for a week.

We had a pretty bad ice storm just two years ago. Everything was covered in an inch of solid ice. You can imagine what the trees and power lines looked like. My house was without power for 9 days, my Mom and Dad didn't get theirs back for 2 weeks. A guy I work with lives even farther out and his was out for over 3 weeks. The worst part for me was having to keep my sump pump running off a generator the entire time for fear of my basement flooding after it warmed up a little and it all started to melt. Living off generators for weeks at a time sucks.[/quote]

Tell me about it. At least you could hook up the warshing machine on your front porch via pully to one of the trucks in your front yard.

Comment

At basic (Ft Knox) we got just under a foot. Not the most snow I've ever seen, but it sucked.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=2944.msg33422#msg33422 date=1293556908]

We had a pretty bad ice storm just two years ago. Everything was covered in an inch of solid ice. You can imagine what the trees and power lines looked like. My house was without power for 9 days, my Mom and Dad didn't get theirs back for 2 weeks. A guy I work with lives even farther out and his was out for over 3 weeks. The worst part for me was having to keep my sump pump running off a generator the entire time for fear of my basement flooding after it warmed up a little and it all started to melt. Living off generators for weeks at a time sucks.[/quote]

Tell me about it. At least you could hook up the warshing machine on your front porch via pully to one of the trucks in your front yard.
                  [/quote]

Dumbass.

The trucks are in the front yard for a reason - they don't fucking run.

Comment

I was also in that March 2003 blizzard in Denver (I was in Fort Collins, though). The snow really got going on Tuesday afternoon. And don't you all remember it was the first week of the tournament??? I had taken that Thursday and Friday off to watch hoops anyway so it was perfect. It was one of the best weeks of my life. I was pregnant with Sam and my husband and I just laid on the couch snowed in watching hoops and eating.

Comment

[quote author=thedeerehunter link=topic=2944.msg33429#msg33429 date=1293560562]
                      [quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=2944.msg33422#msg33422 date=1293556908]

[/quote]

Dumbass.

The trucks are in the front yard for a reason - they don't fucking run.
                      [/quote]

Your story is bullshit TDH, no one in Kentucky goes to high school past the 10th grade.

Comment

My other bad one was Thanksgiving 2002. I was driving back to Denver from Wichita and got stuck in Goodland. They shut down I-70 for 2.5 days. Luckily, I was with a buddy as we got stuck in the Armory on a cot for that whole time. It was only about 4 inches of snow, but the wind was about 60-70mph and was a complete white-out. The people of Goodland and the Red Cross were extremely helpful/generous.

Comment

The other part about the Denver storm was that it was completely gone in a week. I've never seen so much snow disappear that quick. Fucking Iowa has snow from December to March on the ground. That and the gray skies makes it so damn depressing. No wonder I couldn't stop drinking during my 21 months of grad school in Ames.

Comment

Seven or so years ago I had to travel to Philly to do some work on a Sat night. I heard flying in there was a blizzard coming so I snagged a 4X4 from the rental lot. Sat night they got 24" of snow and the airports where closed. Everything was closed, even Pat's King Of Steaks which is my favorite Cheese Steak dump in the world. I had to drive down to Baltimore to get a flight out that afternoon.

Here's a shot from my hotel room Sunday morning:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/dewars-rocks/image_00002.jpg[/img]

Worst part was when the power went out in the bar at the hotel Saturday night and they shut it down.

Comment

[quote author=dewarsrocks link=topic=2944.msg33458#msg33458 date=1293564281]
                              Seven or so years ago I had to travel to Philly to do some work on a Sat night. I heard flying in there was a blizzard coming so I snagged a 4X4 from the rental lot. Sat night they got 24" of snow and the airports where closed. Everything was closed, even Pat's King Of Steaks which is my favorite Cheese Steak dump in the world. I had to drive down to Baltimore to get a flight out that afternoon.

Here's a shot from my hotel room Sunday morning:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/dewars-rocks/image_00002.jpg[/img]

Worst part was when the power went out in the bar at the hotel Saturday night and they shut it down.
                              [/quote]

Shutting the bar down is just cruel. I'd never stay at that chain ever again.

Comment

Working...
                              X