HDTV Wall Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDTV Wall Mounts

Bought a TV for work and I need to mount it into a wall that I think is concrete (or masonry of some kind). Never mounted a TV before. Because of the way the wall is I have to drill into the mortar which gives me limited option where to put it. The mount that I bought recommends using all 6 lag screws included to mount it in concrete/masonry. Well the most I could possibly do is 4. That has to be enough, right? It's a smallish TV, 32" that says it only weighs 18lbs. The book with the mount says the anchors hold up to 160lbs. I'm going to break something, aren't I?

Re: HDTV Wall Mounts

I think you'll be okay.

Mounting the Flat Screen brackets to brick or concrete walls is the easiest part of the job. Just follow the guidlines I gave you before in my How to Install a Plasma or LCD TV article, and mark the hole locations using the mounting bracket as a template. Take a masonry bit and drill a hole. Then take plastic anchors and insert them into the holes. A #8 plastic anchor in gyprock will hold 45 lbs. In brick or concrete it will hold 325 lbs. If you are like me and want to make doubly sure, you can add some adhesive to the anchor when you insert it.

Comment

The only thing that slightly worries me is that the top and the bottom each have 3 places for screws in a triangle pattern. I will be able to use the top 3 and only the middle one on the bottom, so I worry it will put too much pressure on that one screw.

Comment

Is it impossible to drill into the brick or concrete? I would think that you could still put a hole in it to use the screws.

I guess I am not understanding the situation.

Comment

No, I can, but it would be much harder to repair the brick or whatever it is if I go straight into it and would have to eventually replace it or move it. Mortar would be much easier to patch.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2861.msg32087#msg32087 date=1292874784]
            The only thing that slightly worries me is that the top and the bottom each have 3 places for screws in a triangle pattern. I will be able to use the top 3 and only the middle one on the bottom, so I worry it will put too much pressure on that one screw.
            [/quote]

No, its probably better that you at least have all the screws on top. If it were to come out of the wall it would have to come down top first, meaning that all 3 of those screws have to pull out/break before it would come down. You'll be fine.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2861.msg32091#msg32091 date=1292875195]
              No, I can, but it would be much harder to repair the brick or whatever it is if I go straight into it and would have to eventually replace it or move it. Mortar would be much easier to patch.
              [/quote]

They make all sorts of fillers for this kind of stuff, I would think that the brick would be better to anchor to since mortar could crumble.

If the TV doesn't weigh anything, you'll probably be okay how you propose doing it.

Comment

[quote author=Milo Minderbinder link=topic=2861.msg32093#msg32093 date=1292875539]
                [/quote]

They make all sorts of fillers for this kind of stuff, I would think that the brick would be better to anchor to since mortar could crumble.

If the TV doesn't weigh anything, you'll probably be okay how you propose doing it.
                [/quote]

Sure, but it's kind of an odd color and I would like to avoid pissing my landlord off it possible.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2861.msg32094#msg32094 date=1292875786]
                  [quote author=Milo Minderbinder link=topic=2861.msg32093#msg32093 date=1292875539]
                  [/quote]

[/quote]

Sure, but it's kind of an odd color and I would like to avoid pissing my landlord off it possible.

[/quote]

You'll leave some noticeable holes no matter what. I'd just do it and see what you can get away with later.

Comment

Little bit of this stuff should do the trick for ya. No bolts/screws/drilling involved at all (unless there are wimmenz). Just a couple drops on the back of the wall mount and it should be good to go.

Comment

Aren't these things universal and fit many TVs? And, run the wires through the wall, hanging cables kills the effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X