Anyone else pulling an all nighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else pulling an all nighter?

Well fuck you if you aren't. Fuck this historiographic essay. Fuck everything gently with a chainsaw.

Re: Anyone else pulling an all nighter?

I'm not tired and don't have shit to do tomorrow. So I encourage your historcrapic essay.

Comment

So I had this craptastic student who is failing my course come up to me and explain that the first essay he wrote wasn't plagiarism and that to use that word which is a strong word is bad and that he didn't know that if he lifts word for word paragraph after paragraph from multiple websites without citing it is plagiarism. Especially if the assignment is to use the documents that we use in discussion for your papers. Maybe you should have at least attempted to give some interpretations after your copy and pastes so at least a semblance of your own voice is intermittent with the plagiarized bullshit. Nope buddy you're getting an F for the class. And I loved the whole spiel about your circumstances because no one else has it hard. Hilarious.

Comment

I have never understood how people get caught plagiarizing unless they are just plain retarded. It's not hard to change the wording so it paraphrasing and not copying. Also, those websites that are suppose to detect plagiarism are a joke. They didn't even flag my direct quotes as being in books and websites.

Comment

They think that the teacher is stupid or something and that knowing that he actually writes at a shitbird level and low and behold his paper looks to me like a Professor wrote it. And yes he is an idiot. How do you get 10/40 on the multiple choice on the final when all the possible multiple choice questions are posted on blackboard that they can answer and study? baffling.

Comment

[quote author=DeutschHistorian link=topic=2733.msg30989#msg30989 date=1292477622]
            They think that the teacher is stupid or something and that knowing that he actually writes at a shitbird level and low and behold his paper looks to me like a Professor wrote it. And yes he is an idiot. How do you get 10/40 on the multiple choice on the final when all the possible multiple choice questions are posted on blackboard that they can answer and study? baffling.
            [/quote]

that's not stupid, that's ignorant. Which is even worse.

Comment

I wish they would teach students to write in high school. Teaching to a test has killed a student's ability to show up at college and be successful. We spent almost the entire semester hammering on writing and finally forced them to use the Writing Center as part of their assignment. We are talking papers that look worse than a drunken, Friday-night text message.

Comment

[quote author=CStop link=topic=2733.msg31063#msg31063 date=1292514108]
                I wish they would teach students to write in high school. Teaching to a test has killed a student's ability to show up at college and be successful. We spent almost the entire semester hammering on writing and finally forced them to use the Writing Center as part of their assignment. We are talking papers that look worse than a drunken, Friday-night text message.
                [/quote]

It's part of a sea change in values / job placement. How many jobs now-a-days require you to know how to write beyond bullet points or short, active voice sentences? I've been working for 18 months and my job, and I haven't. Then again, I work in a technical field.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=2733.msg31073#msg31073 date=1292515045]
                  [/quote]

It's part of a sea change in values / job placement. How many jobs now-a-days require you to know how to write beyond bullet points or short, active voice sentences? I've been working for 18 months and my job, and I haven't. Then again, I work in a technical field.
                  [/quote]

True. I just hope none of my students want to be lawyers.

Comment

[/quote]

I never used the writing center when I was in college. I think the worst I ever received on a paper was a B+. However, in my freshman English class, I had multiple classmates who didn't know what a thesis was. I thought it was a joke, at first. Then I became sad.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2733.msg31098#msg31098 date=1292519070]
                      [/quote]

I never used the writing center when I was in college. I think the worst I ever received on a paper was a B+. However, in my freshman English class, I had multiple classmates who didn't know what a thesis was. I thought it was a joke, at first. Then I became sad.
                      [/quote]

Yeah, I still remember the first time my 101 teacher (probably not a prof) asked us to proofread other students' papers. I was shocked at what I saw.

I will tell you that as a HS teacher, I require my students to be able to write a thesis statement and support it with evidence. Still, I have to go over writing conventions much more than I would like (I don't teach English).

Comment

[quote author=TheSinisterUrge link=topic=2733.msg31102#msg31102 date=1292520541]
                        [quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2733.msg31098#msg31098 date=1292519070]
                        [/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, I still remember the first time my 101 teacher (probably not a prof) asked us to proofread other students' papers. I was shocked at what I saw.

I will tell you that as a HS teacher, I require my students to be able to write a thesis statement and support it with evidence. Still, I have to go over writing conventions much more than I would like (I don't teach English).
                        [/quote]

As somebody who is a fan of the written word, I find this all sad. Even at the elementary school level, there is a huge push toward math compentency and less of a push on literacy.

Comment

Working...
                        X