X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week In Movies: December 17th

Big weekend for movies.

Tron: Legacy

[img width=409 height=600]http://www.latinoreview.com/images/stories/articles/tronposter.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG
    Directed By: Joseph Kosinski (yeah)
    Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, and Olivia Wilde

TRAILER

Synopsis: TRON: LEGACY is a 3D high-tech adventure set in a digital world that's unlike anything ever captured on the big screen. Sam Flynn (GARRETT HEDLUND), the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn (JEFF BRIDGES), looks into his father's disappearance and finds himself pulled into the digital world of Tron where his father has been living for 25 years. Along with Kevin's loyal confidant Quorra (OLIVIA WILDE), father and son embark on a life-and-death journey of escape across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous.

Have you seen it FF24? Hellz Yeah

FF24 Take: Will Tron Legacy win a bunch of Oscars and be remembered as one of the best movies ever? No. Is it a kick ass action movie with an awesome soundtrack that doesn't overstay it's welcome? ABSOLUTELY.

I hadn't seen the first Tron movie previous to seeing Tron Legacy but I had seen clips of it and pretty much knew what to expect. I had heard that the first movie is slow and didn't really make a lot of sense. Since seeing Legacy I have seen the original and all those things are true. This one keeps a very tight pacing through the whole movie and there is very little downtime between action sequences. The plot however, still can be picked apart because, let's face it, the premise of Tron is pretty absurd. The visuals leap off the screen (the neon helps a lot) and the action sequences, for the most part, are very solid. The one downside is CGI Jeff Bridges. Some of the time he looks great, other times he looks like a moving version of a Madame Tussauds statue...it's pretty creepy.

Garrett Hedlund does a solid job as the son of Flynn, I didn't know who the kid was before this movie but I have a feeling you'll see him in a movie every 3 months pretty soon. Jeff Bridges is Jeff Bridges, solid as always. His Kevin Flynn is like a cross between Flynn from the first movie and The Dude...which is not a bad thing at all. Olivia Wilde does a good job under that wig they put her in. I honestly forgot it was her for the first half of the movie and had to get my phone out to look it up. She has the innocent stare down cold.

Daft Punk is back with a pretty solid soundtrack. Unfortunately with soundtracks there are a lot of repeated themes throughout the movie so there is only probably 30 minutes of music. The most notable of the tracks plays during an action sequence in a bar/nightclub, and it's awesome.

Tron Legacy feels like a summer blockbuster. It's seemed short even though it hits at right about the 2 hour mark. Some of themes really started to wear on me by the end of the movie, lot of nods to Star Wars and religion everywhere...but I guess that is kind of to be expected. I saw it in "normal" 3-D and will be seeing it in IMAX 3D on Thursday. I've seen a lot of crap 3D over the past 2 years and one phenomenal 3-D (Avatar). This is neither, but definitely in the upper echelon (it has only Avatar on top of it) of the genre. You won't miss anything if you don't see it in 3-D, but it is definitely ok to splurge if you want, you will get your monies worth.

Yogi Bear

[img width=409 height=600]http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2010/08/cine-yogi-bear-poster.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG
    Directed By: Eric Brevig
    Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Justin Timberlake, and Anna Faris (that woman is way too talented to be in this crap)

ENDING ZOMG SPOILARS

Synopsis: Everyone's favorite pic-a-nic basket-stealing bear comes to the big screen in "Yogi Bear," a new adventure, filmed in 3D, that combines live action with computer animation. Dan Aykroyd stars as the voice of Yogi, Jellystone Park's notorious troublemaker, and Justin Timberlake as the voice of Boo Boo, Yogi's faithful pal and co-conspirator in his never-ending schemes to separate park visitors from their lunches. Yogi has always relied on his quick wit and fast feet to stay one step ahead of irate campers while dodging his long-suffering nemesis, Ranger Smith. But he and Boo Boo are about to face a situation worse than anything Yogi has ever gotten them into... Jellystone Park is being sold! To cover his mismanagement of city funds and fuel his election campaign, Mayor Brown plans to sell the park to loggers. Families will no longer be able to experience the natural beauty of the outdoors Jellystone has always provided--and, even worse, Yogi, Boo Boo, and all their friends will be tossed out of the only home they've ever known. Faced with his biggest challenge ever, Yogi must prove he really is "smarter than the average bear," as he and Boo Boo join forces with Ranger Smith to find a way to save the park from closing forever.

Have you seen it FF24? No.

FF24 Take: Fuck no.

How Do You Know

[img width=409 height=600]http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/how_do_you_know_poster-535x792.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG-13
    Directed By: James L. Brooks
    Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson

TRAILER

Synopsis: A romantic comedy centered on the love triangle between professional softball player Lisa Jorgenson, a corporate executive, and a major-league pitcher. (Yeah, that's it)

Have you seen it FF24? No.

FF24 Take: The trailers for this have been a real turn off. I have a self professed man crush on Paul Rudd but even I am going to stay away from this one. Owen Wilson's schtick is sooooo old and Reese Witherspoon is kind of past her prime (if she had one). The plot looks predictable and not very funny. I wouldn't fight too hard if the wife wanted to go but looks more like a Saturday night rental in a few months.

Black Swan

[img width=409 height=600]http://s3.daemonsmovies.com/mov/up/2010/09/Black-Swan-Poster1-550x814.jpg[/img]

Rated: R
    Directed By: Darren Aronofsky
    Starring: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, and Vincent Cassel

TRAILER

Synopsis: A psychological thriller set in the world of New York City ballet, BLACK SWAN stars Natalie Portman as Nina, a featured dancer who finds herself locked in a web of competitive intrigue with a new rival at the company (Mila Kunis). A Fox Searchlight Pictures release by visionary director Darren Aronofsky (THE WRESTLER), BLACK SWAN takes a thrilling and at times terrifying journey through the psyche of a young ballerina whose starring role as the duplicitous swan queen turns out to be a part for which she becomes frighteningly perfect. BLACK SWAN follows the story of Nina (Portman), a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance. She lives with her retired ballerina mother Erica (Barbara Hershey) who zealously supports her daughter,s professional ambition. When artistic director Thomas Leroy (Vincent Cassel) decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre (Winona Ryder) for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice. But Nina has competition: a new dancer, Lily (Kunis), who impresses Leroy as well. Swan Lake requires a dancer who can play both the White Swan with innocence and grace, and the Black Swan, who represents guile and sensuality. Nina fits the White Swan role perfectly but Lily is the personification of the Black Swan. As the two young dancers expand their rivalry into a twisted friendship, Nina begins to get more in touch with her dark side with a recklessness that threatens to destroy her.

Have you seen it FF24? No, and it's killing me

FF24 Take: This type of movie is right in my wheelhouse. Aronofsky is one of my favorite directors going today. I thought that The Fountain was highly underrated and thought that the Wrestler was kind of overrated. I'm hoping Black Swan is a nice balance between the crazy of The Fountain and the gritty reality of The Wrestler.

If I could see one movie this weekend what would it be? Black Swan

Coming Next Week: Little Fockers, True Grit, Gulliver's Travels, I Love You Phillip Morris

Re: This Week In Movies: December 17th

A psychological thriller centered around ballet? Hmmm....

Comment

You forgot to mention the Kunis/Portman lesbian stuff.

Comment

[quote author=Jayhawker link=topic=2726.msg30931#msg30931 date=1292465045]
        You forgot to mention the Kunis/Portman lesbian stuff.
        [/quote]

I was trying to sound mature and scholarly.

But just for you...

ZOMG PORTMAN AND KUNIS SMOOCHIES!!!11!!1

Comment

Wait a minute. Yogi Bear is rated PG??

What's with all the 3D crap coming out lately?

Comment

[quote author=beakumhawks link=topic=2726.msg30964#msg30964 date=1292471818]

What's with all the 3D crap coming out lately?
            [/quote]

YEAH! And what's the deal with airplane peanuts!?!?

Comment

Aronofsky lost me with the Fountain.

Comment

On a serious note, how badly do you have to fuck up a kids movie to get it rated PG? What the hell happens? Do Yogi and Boo-Boo gang rape the park ranger?

Comment

If it is live action, which Yogi Bear halfway is, it is pretty much going to be rated PG at minimum.

Comment

Local quote whore critic Shawn Edwards gives Tron 1 out of 5. Now you know it's good.

P.S. He gave Yogi Bear 3 out of 5.

Comment

The poor reviews on Yogi sadden me. I have four days to kill next week with kids out of school and that was going to be one of our activities.

Is Gulliver's Travels going to suck ass too?

Comment

Yes, lots and lots of ass.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2726.msg31552#msg31552 date=1292608240]
                          The poor reviews on Yogi sadden me. I have four days to kill next week with kids out of school and that was going to be one of our activities.

Is Gulliver's Travels going to suck ass too?
                          [/quote]

Major huge ass. It will suck. As a matter of fact, anything related to Gulliver's Travels sucks ass.

Comment

Working...
                          X