ATMO: Pole: Hit in the head with a 1.75L glass bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATMO: Pole: Hit in the head with a 1.75L glass bottle

I had a disagreement over this issue with my wife and a friend the other night and I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

For argument's sake, you're going to be hit in the head with an empty 1.75L glass Jim Beam bottle. It will be swung reasonably hard (though perhaps not at 100% maximum velocity) at no provocation by a drunk 20 year old male of average size and strength, but one who secretly hates you. You are not expecting the blow, nor is anyone else. You are in a college dorm room, everyone is drinking, nobody is of age.

The nearest hospital is ~10 minutes away at the very least, but nobody is sober and few people have a car anyway, if they do, it's not parked conveniently close, and there aren't many randoms around the dorm who could be relied on for a ride. It's approximately midnight on a Friday night, so if a trip to the ER is necessary, smart money is on an ambulance ride.

To make matters more interesting, you are also taking LSD for the first time, as are most of the other people in the room (but not the bottle swinger--he's just drunk on bourbon). You're about an hour and a half in--not peaking yet, but definitely no longer normal. You've also been drinking bourbon and smoking grass.

Would you prefer for the bottle to shatter, potentially causing a serious scalp wound, the bleeding, the mess, the likely need to go to the hospital, stitches, etc., along with all the possible fallout that could result from this incident taking place (school/parental/financial consequences)?

Or would you prefer for the bottle to not shatter, shake your brain around in your skull a bit, possibly give you a concussion (though the LSD certainly keeps you awake throughout the "don't go to sleep after a head injury danger zone"), but not really be any worse for the wear after 30 minutes and to have any medical consequences be deferred until later on in life where perhaps you might run a greater risk of becoming a punch-drunk diaper-shitter than if the incident didn't happen.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions to better describe the circumstances, but please use only the facts presented above (and not any subsequent revelations for consistency's sake) in making your determination.

Re: ATMO: Pole: Hit in the head with a 1.75L glass bottle

Sounds like you had one interesting weekend in college.

Comment

Wait, are you my sociology professor?

Comment

I had quite a few interesting weekends in college, as a matter of fact.

I am not anybody's sociology professor, though I'm curious to hear why anyone might wonder otherwise.

Comment

If it's being swung, and held onto in the follow-through, I'll take shatter. Otherwise it's a club that could cause a severe concussion.

If it's being thrown, I'll take unbroken, as the human head and neck could probably absorb and recoil from an object of that size/weight. It'd bounce off and leave a nasty welt.

Comment

Swung and held.

Comment

So, yeah, shatter, definitely. Better a scalp gash than a broken skull.

Comment

Flat side impact or the corners?

Comment

Shatter, because I've had it happen and it wasn't that bad.

Comment

[quote author=thedeerehunter link=topic=246.msg2067#msg2067 date=1281232523]
                    [/quote]

ahh, well that explains everything

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=246.msg2062#msg2062 date=1281224682]
                      So, yeah, shatter, definitely. Better a scalp gash than a broken skull.
                      [/quote]

No broken skull--just having your bell rung a bit. Maybe it's a mild concussion, maybe it isn't.

Comment

Shatter. I'll take my chances with a few cuts.

Comment

[quote author=thedeerehunter link=topic=246.msg2067#msg2067 date=1281232523]
                          [/quote]

In Kentucky, they don't spank newborns to test reflexes, they hit them with bottles of bourbon.

Comment

Working...
                          X