Christmas gift idea thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas gift idea thread

I need a couple ideas and figure others may as well, with their specific situations. Let this be the thread where we help each other not give shitty gifts.

For my bro-in-law, background: mid-30s, in vet school at Texas A&M, loves horses, outdoors, and is a handyman. Likes beer, but far from a snob. Not a big sports guy. Would like to get him something A&M/college station-related, if possible. Budget = <$50

For parents in their 60s: kids scattered across the US and drive everywhere. Dad is a huge KU/Royals fan, loves reading magazines like Newsweek, US News, etc. Enjoys himself some Weller's whiskey. Huge stamp collection. Mom doesn't really have any hobbies, doesn't watch much TV, but does enjoy cooking/eating delicious stuff. Live in a small town, limiting entertainment options.

HALP!! (and hopefully I can chime in for other people)

Re: Christmas gift idea thread

The answer for both is the same

http://www.uncommongoods.com/product...e-giant-tongue

Comment

Brother in law -- get him a bronze horse shoe to put above his door.

Parents - Garmin Nuvi

Dad - KU plate decals, subscription to The Economist

Mom - Paula Deane cook book

Comment

I got some breathilizer keychains off bensoutlet for some drunks in the family.

Comment

^^^

I ordered a couple as well...need to bust them out this weekend and see how they work

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=2666.msg30354#msg30354 date=1292265083]
            ^^^

I ordered a couple as well...need to bust them out this weekend and see how they work
            [/quote]

How are you going to test them against the real thing?

Comment

Not sure yet...I know they won't be dead on, obviously, but I figure I'll sit down and have a drink an hour and see how they progress

but clearly, if that thing tells me I shouldn't be driving, then I would have a pretty good idea that I shouldn't drive...haha

Comment

A man who has one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches wonders what time it is.

Seems pretty impractical if you can't calibrate it to the real deal somehow. Maybe friendly ask an officer?

Comment

Yeah, I haven't opened it yet, so perhaps there is a calibration process

Comment

For your mom, I would do something cooking-related that is specific to where you live (I think you said NC?) since she doesn't live near there. One of my favorite gifts for both family and friends who love to cook when we lived in Colorado and now in Seattle is the local Junior League cookbook. The JL puts out a regional cookbook every few years and they are awesome. They are hardback with beautiful pictures.....you can usually find older versions at your local Barnes & Noble for about $30. They are pricey but the proceeds go to charity, which is a bonus. The recipes will be specific to your area so it's a cool gift to give to out-of-towners. I got my in-laws that book last year along with food local to Seattle.....smoked salmon, dried apples, Washington wine, etc....it was a big hit.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2666.msg30407#msg30407 date=1292272245]
                      For your mom, I would do something cooking-related that is specific to where you live (I think you said NC?) since she doesn't live near there. One of my favorite gifts for both family and friends who love to cook when we lived in Colorado and now in Seattle is the local Junior League cookbook. The JL puts out a regional cookbook every few years and they are awesome. They are hardback with beautiful pictures.....you can usually find older versions at your local Barnes & Noble for about $30. They are pricey but the proceeds go to charity, which is a bonus. The recipes will be specific to your area so it's a cool gift to give to out-of-towners. I got my in-laws that book last year along with food local to Seattle.....smoked salmon, dried apples, Washington wine, etc....it was a big hit.
                      [/quote]

Thanks S&B&M, you just did my step-mom's shopping for me.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=2666.msg30408#msg30408 date=1292272337]
                        [quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2666.msg30407#msg30407 date=1292272245]
                        [/quote]

Thanks S&B&M, you just did my step-mom's shopping for me.
                        [/quote]

No problem, Randy. You've been very helpful to me after the last few years. It's the least that I could do.

Comment

Re: Re: Christmas gift idea thread

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=2666.msg30367#msg30367 date=1292266399]
                          Not sure yet...I know they won't be dead on, obviously, but I figure I'll sit down and have a drink an hour and see how they progress

but clearly, if that thing tells me I shouldn't be driving, then I would have a pretty good idea that I shouldn't drive...haha
                          [/quote]

Obviously they probably won't be accurate at all. Keep in mind that if you take a drink and immediately blow it will be off the charts. You need to do a 15-20 minute deprivation before blowing. Mostly just a really cool party game type thing, I would not trust it to give you the thumbs up or thumbs down to drive but it would be awesome to get as a stocking stuffer.

Comment

Working...
                          X