AWtW - Wife is turning 40 - gift ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWtW - Wife is turning 40 - gift ideas

My wife is turning 40 at the end of January but I'm planning a surprise bday party for her when we are back in the states on New Years Eve (obviously a dual purpose party). Fortunately, I have some help from our friends who we'll be staying with for a few days.

Any particular suggestions for a really great gift?
    I don't typically get her expensive jewelry but I think she would really like a pair of diamond earrings.
    Other ideas are a trip with one of her friends to somewhere like Hawaii or Thailand.

Hoping to get her something good this year since I'm pretty awful about birthdays and anniversaries (I've only been "in town" for 1 anniversary and one of her birthdays in the last 4 years.)

Re: AWtW - Wife is turning 40 - gift ideas

[quote author=phx1hawk link=topic=2529.msg28832#msg28832 date=1291466685]
    My wife is turning 40 at the end of January but I'm planning a surprise bday party for her when we are back in the states on New Years Eve (obviously a dual purpose party). Fortunately, I have some help from our friends who we'll be staying with for a few days.

Any particular suggestions for a really great gift?
    I don't typically get her expensive jewelry but I think she would really like a pair of diamond earrings.
    Other ideas are a trip with one of her friends to somewhere like Hawaii or Thailand.

Hoping to get her something good this year since I'm pretty awful about birthdays and anniversaries (I've only been "in town" for 1 anniversary and one of her birthdays in the last 4 years.)
    [/quote]

Might I suggest a divorce? Although, that's more of a gift for you. Women love the accessories. Necklace (non-pearl variety, jefe) or earrings. Guaranteed PIITB.

Comment

Your slipping Fuegs,

How could you not notice his username and immediately suggest letting you come over to give her a "present".

Comment

Hitting 4-0 is a pretty big milestone whether she admits it or not. It's that "I'm not a young person any more" moment. I wouldn't go overboard for the actual event, like big party with lots of people that screams "look at me, I'm 40". It might hit her wrong.

Give her something really, really nice like some special jewelry. She'll get to show it off to her friends and brag on you for getting it. Let her know she's still #1 with you (aside from KU Basketball of course).

Comment

[quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=2529.msg28847#msg28847 date=1291482536]
          Your slipping Fuegs,

How could you not notice his username and immediately suggest letting you come over to give her a "present".
          [/quote]

Not at all. I've met him (and his Mrs., iirc) years ago, to watch the KU v. Illinois tourney game. He no longer lives here.

Comment

OK, first of all I'm not a jewelry giver. Its just so over played. Personally I'd go with a "day to remember" style gift. You said you're out of town all the time, so something you can do together, out of the ordinary. Take some time off work, go spend a day together. Anything from couple spa day to skydiving. Then while ON the day, you give her the jewelry as a reminder of the time spent.

Lady Wheaters.... Help this guy out!

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2529.msg28862#msg28862 date=1291490517]
              OK, first of all I'm not a jewelry giver. Its just so over played. Personally I'd go with a "day to remember" style gift. You said you're out of town all the time, so something you can do together, out of the ordinary. Take some time off work, go spend a day together. Anything from couple spa day to skydiving. Then while ON the day, you give her the jewelry as a reminder of the time spent.

Lady Wheaters.... Help this guy out!
              [/quote]

Women love jewelry, so disagree that it will ever be overplayed. Women also like to travel (so a get-away trip would be an idea) and like to be showcased in public (dinner/dancing, etc.).

Comment

Girls like jewelry. Girls like flowers. Blah Blah Blah. Men are so uncreative that we just give the same gift over and over and over. Hence why it is overplayed. I didn't say it was ineffective, I meant more that it is predictable and lacks enough spark for the occasion mentioned in the OP.

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=2529.msg28873#msg28873 date=1291495745]
                  Girls like jewelry. Girls like flowers. Blah Blah Blah. Men are so uncreative that we just give the same gift over and over and over. Hence why it is overplayed. I didn't say it was ineffective, I meant more that it is predictable and lacks enough spark for the occasion mentioned in the OP.
                  [/quote]

Again, disagree.

Comment

Just announce that you've formally giving up asking to PIITB. That's a gift she'll enjoy for years to come.

Comment

Yes - we no longer live in Phx but in Singapore. And we did meet up w/ Fuegs, jhwklvr and a few others a couple times to watch games when we did live in Phx.

Good suggestion about an activity or event and then to give some jewelry to remember the event by.

No big party plans, just 15 or so of our friends.
                      Protist -

Comment

[quote author=phx1hawk link=topic=2529.msg28904#msg28904 date=1291519862]
                        Yes - we no longer live in Phx but in Singapore. And we did meet up w/ Fuegs, jhwklvr and a few others a couple times to watch games when we did live in Phx.

Good suggestion about an activity or event and then to give some jewelry to remember the event by.

Protist -
                        [/quote]

I'm just glad you followed thru on the offer to move. How's that going thus far?

Comment

[quote author=Jayhawk1977 link=topic=2529.msg28905#msg28905 date=1291520676]

Protist -
                          [/quote]

I'm just glad you followed thru on the offer to move. How's that going thus far?
                          [/quote]

Going well, thanks for asking. I've been here since late July and the family joined me on Aug 30th. Still traveling a lot but mostly just in the region so I'm not gone for too many weekend days.
                          The family assimilated pretty quickly to Singapore which was a huge bonus. The fact that they all like various types of food is a big part as we can have really good Indian, Thai and Chinese food anywhere around here from good restaurants to "hawker stalls" at the wet market around the corner.
                          There are some things that take some time to get used to; since we left in the heat of summer and it is still that kind of weather here it seems impossible that it is cold back home and that the Big12 championship game was just played! We are coming back for a couple weeks for the holidays and are really looking forward to some cool/cold weather. Another thing that still entertaining is the cost of groceries, $19 a gallon for milk and $10 per lb for hamburger. overall a great experience so far.

Comment

[quote author=phx1hawk link=topic=2529.msg28915#msg28915 date=1291537876]
                            [quote author=Jayhawk1977 link=topic=2529.msg28905#msg28905 date=1291520676]

Protist -
                            [/quote]

[/quote]

Going well, thanks for asking. I've been here since late July and the family joined me on Aug 30th. Still traveling a lot but mostly just in the region so I'm not gone for too many weekend days.
                            The family assimilated pretty quickly to Singapore which was a huge bonus. The fact that they all like various types of food is a big part as we can have really good Indian, Thai and Chinese food anywhere around here from good restaurants to "hawker stalls" at the wet market around the corner.
                            There are some things that take some time to get used to; since we left in the heat of summer and it is still that kind of weather here it seems impossible that it is cold back home and that the Big12 championship game was just played! We are coming back for a couple weeks for the holidays and are really looking forward to some cool/cold weather. Another thing that still entertaining is the cost of groceries, $19 a gallon for milk and $10 per lb for hamburger. overall a great experience so far.
                            [/quote]

How much for the hookers? :shades:

Comment

[quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=2529.msg28847#msg28847 date=1291482536]
                              Your slipping Fuegs,

[/quote]

Somehow you fuck this up every time.

English: Your vs You're

What's the difference between your and you're? Your presence on this page means you're about to find out.

Your

Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is nearly always followed by a noun.

What is your name?

Is this your pen?

Your book is on the table.

This is your chair and this is mine.

What happened to your dog?

Your being here is causing some problems.

You're

You're is the contraction of "you are" and is often followed by the present participle (verb form ending in -ing).

You're going to be late.

Is that what you're wearing?

I think you're lying.

If you're ready, we can go.

I can't believe you're a doctor!

When you're my age, you'll understand.

The Bottom Line

The confusion between your and you're occurs because the two words are pronounced pretty much the same.

The ironclad rule - no exceptions - is that if you're able to replace the word with "you are," you're saying you're. Otherwise, your only choice is your.

Comment

Working...
                              X