Wii questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii questions

So against my better judgment, I allowed my dad to buy my kids a Wii for Christmas.

The package that he bought comes with two controllers and two games: Wii Sports and Wii Resort.

We'll be buying the boys stuff to go with it for Christmas. I know nothing about the Wii. So I ask you all for recommendations.

The boys are 7 and 4. We already have an XBOX 360, so I am trying to stay away from just regular games.

One of my friends recommended the Wii Fit Plus with the balance board. Anyone have this?

Another consideration: I would like to avoid accessories that can easily be thrown at the tv.

Re: Wii questions

get mario kart so they can throw the steering wheel at the tv. i wanted to do this with my old Mercury all the time, btw.

Comment

Mario Kart is awesome. Somehow my friend turned it into a drinking game called drunk driver which is always fun.

Wii fit is okay. I wouldn't get it for a little kid. You have to do it all the time to keep unlocking the new games and what not. 75% of it is actual fitness stuff they'd have no interest in. Super Smash Bros. might be a good game for them.

Most wii games suck.

Comment

goldeneye. they'll be watching r-rated movies behind your back within a couple of years anyway.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2475.msg28160#msg28160 date=1291250040]
          Mario Kart is awesome. Somehow my friend turned it into a drinking game called drunk driver which is always fun.

Wii fit is okay. I wouldn't get it for a little kid. You have to do it all the time to keep unlocking the new games and what not. 75% of it is actual fitness stuff they'd have no interest in. Super Smash Bros. might be a good game for them.

Most wii games suck.
          [/quote]

I thought that too about the Wii Fit....but my friend who has kids the same age told me that her kids love the obstacle course, snowball fight, etc. Plus, I am not above buying something for my kids as a gift when I will be the one to get the most use out of it (I think this might be the first "game" ever that I would use).

I have heard other recs for the Mario Kart as well. It's the wheel that scares me.

Comment

get mario cart for sure

I'd look at a few of the mario games as well, they'll enjoy them

Comment

Mario Kart is cool, my girls love it. The steering wheel isn't an issue as far as TV damage, but most of the games involve holding the controller in your hand and making motions toward the TV (swinging a golf club or baseball bat, bowling, etc.). The key is to MAKE SURE they use the wrist strap and that it's adjusted tight enough that it won't fly off. We told our girls if we ever caught them using the controller without the strap we'd take the Wii away. I really didn't like the prospect of replacing 52" of plasma, and it's worked so far.

The wife likes Wii fit, and I like watching her do it. The kids use it too.

Comment

I play it all the time, love the Wii Sports games. The Wii Fit is pretty fun too, especially the Plus games.

There are some pretty good "WiiWare" games if you go online with it; you can download all of the old Mario games and a few Nintendo classics for a few bucks. I have "Onslaught", which is a pretty good first-person shooter; not bloody because you're shooting up aliens.

I've also gotten pretty addicted to Boom Blox, but that is a matter of taste. The good thing about Wii games is that although there aren't a shit-ton of amazing ones, the good ones are basically re-playable forever.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2475.msg28163#msg28163 date=1291250681]
                  [quote author=KVN638 link=topic=2475.msg28160#msg28160 date=1291250040]

Most wii games suck.
                  [/quote]

I thought that too about the Wii Fit....but my friend who has kids the same age told me that her kids love the obstacle course, snowball fight, etc. Plus, I am not above buying something for my kids as a gift when I will be the one to get the most use out of it (I think this might be the first "game" ever that I would use).

I have heard other recs for the Mario Kart as well. It's the wheel that scares me.
                  [/quote]

Definitely get Wii Fit. I have a 5 year old and he loves it. There's a bike ride game and he will be up there for an hour peddling away. I'm not sure I'd let the little ones play drunk driver though.

Comment

[quote author=pieces of eight link=topic=2475.msg28199#msg28199 date=1291258927]
                    I play it all the time, love the Wii Sports games. The Wii Fit is pretty fun too, especially the Plus games.

There are some pretty good "WiiWare" games if you go online with it; you can download all of the old Mario games and a few Nintendo classics for a few bucks. I have "Onslaught", which is a pretty good first-person shooter; not bloody because you're shooting up aliens.

I've also gotten pretty addicted to Boom Blox, but that is a matter of taste. The good thing about Wii games is that although there aren't a shit-ton of amazing ones, the good ones are basically re-playable forever.
                    [/quote]

Great point. Super Mario Bros. and Tecmo Bowl FTMFW.

Comment

WARNING: DO NOT BUY THE WII FIT. I KNOW ABOUT 8 PEOPLE WHO HAVE IT. All it does is collect dust. They say they are going to use it to work out with and it never gets used.

Comment

Wii questions

Wii Play is a good one. Has a Duck Hunt style game plus lots of others.

Comment

Mario Kart and Super Mario Galaxy. My nephew (10) gets into all those LEGO games like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter. They are easy to play and really require no skill or ability.

Comment

And you thought the controller throwing was bad with the xbox?

Just wait until he is playing Mario Kart...has a huge lead and gets hit with 3 purple shells and loses at the finish line in the last second. That shit'll have the entire Wii through the TV, not just the remote.

Comment

[quote author=WhiteSuxDirtyBirds link=topic=2475.msg28207#msg28207 date=1291259672]
                              WARNING: DO NOT BUY THE WII FIT. I KNOW ABOUT 8 PEOPLE WHO HAVE IT. All it does is collect dust. They say they are going to use it to work out with and it never gets used.
                              [/quote]

If I say I am going to use it, I will use it. I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to working out. And these days I need something that I can do at home....right now all I have is a treadmill.

Comment

Working...
                              X