Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics

That parents use on their kids to get them to behave the way they want

I just heard this lady tell a story about how she'd get her kids to stop arguing over the TV:

She locks down the Television and tells her kids that Directv can hear them through the remote and shuts their service off if they fight...kids are 5 and 6 and apparently it has worked so far

I'm trying to think of things my parents did when I was a kid

Anything come to your mind?

Re: Tactics

This used to work pretty good for my dad.

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_mISfVM9SsAyeCjzbkF/SIG=12uhpioip/EXP=1291229960/**http%3a//image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00mvoTaYbJEqhB/Leather-Belt-EU0999-.jpg[/img]

Comment

We have conference calls with Santa every night this time of year.

That really doesn't work as a deterrent for bad behavior, though.

We also have "Elf on the Shelf".....a brilliant idea in theory. You buy this stuffed elf and that comes with a book explaining how the elf is "magic" and tells Santa everyday if the kid has been good or not. We tell our kids the elf only moves at night when they are asleep IF they get a good report (last year our kids had a ball waking up every morning trying to find where the elf was hiding that time).

We brought the elf out on Friday and he is still sitting in the same spot 4 days later.

I think my kids are just getting too old to fall for this sort of crap. Christmas just isn't the same without all this coercing.

Comment

Ah yes...spanking

My pops had a wooden paddle with a target on it....my mom simply had to say the word "paddle" and we shut right up

never got a belt or a switch....not sure which would be worse

Comment

"If you don't stop doing (insert bad behavior), I'm going to tell your father"

Comment

Its kinda ghey, well actually really ICTgheyish, but it worked.

When I was little, my parents gave us a "sticker book."
            If you were good, you got to pick a sticker off all the sheets of stickers they had before you went to bed and put it in your book. Not plain old stickers but sweet ones. Flashy, scratch and sniff, textured, animals, cars, trains, dinosaurs, whatever...cool shit back in the day.
            If you were bad you didn't get your sticker that day.
            You could also "earn" extra stickers by doing other stuff/behaving extra well, whatever.

As we got older, and it wasn't so much behavior, but bad language around the house they changed it up. You started the week at 10 bucks. Every "bad word" you got fined a quarter. You got whatever money at the end of the week you hadn't lost due to language.

Comment

We have a 16 year old son and a 11 year old daughter and for the most part we haven't had any behavior problems aside from a few minor incidents. Our overall approach is that whatever age they were/are at we were thinking about how that was going set them up for later years in terms of expectations of behavior, responsibilities, school, domestic chores, etc and we have been consistent with both of them.

We are a pretty tight nit family that does a lot of traveling together for the last eight years or so, mostly in cars and cramped hotel rooms. Mom and dad made it clear to our kids that they will get along and they will not be a pain in the ass - we are all in this together so we might as well make it as positive experience as possible.

Regarding tactics I guess I have two main ones. First, if I get upset with one of my kids I never make it personal and I never demean them. I keep it focused on whatever the issue is and I don't drag in things that are not directed associated with whatever issue I have with them at the moment. Once I have said my peace and they get the message, I carry on with them as if nothing happened. Message sent, message received now let's go about our regular business.

Second, there is no negotiating on bottom line issues. They will do what is expected of them period. Case in point, a couple of years ago I was having a hard time with my son with chores around the house. One day I was fed up with his bitching and told him in no uncertain terms and he yell back with "why do you get so mad at me?!" I told him that was his choice. Either do what you are told and create a big fuss for both of us or just do it. Either way, I am not letting you off the hook. End of problems.

On the flip side, my kids get to do a lot of fun things and they have come to understand that those are earned.

Now this is all fine and dandy so far, but my son hasn't started driving and my daughter has yet to go through the majority of puberty. Ya might want to check back in a couple of year because things may still go completely off the tracks!

Comment

I chose the wrench, you want to know why? Because Fuck him, that's why.

Comment

[quote author=TacoHut link=topic=2442.msg27887#msg27887 date=1291180234]
                  I chose the wrench, you want to know why? Because Fuck him, that's why.
                  [/quote]

Interesting nights were when he wore his rings...

Comment

Comment

Make them watch "Mommy Dearest" every night for a month, then put wire coat hangers in every room.

Comment

When me and my sister would fight in public, my dad would threaten us by saying he would make us stop and sing that god-awful "I love you, you love me" song from Barney.

One day he went through with that threat.

We never fought in public ever again.

Comment

we talkin' bout TACTICS, man! i mean how silly is that?

we talkin' bout TACTICS!

Comment

Working...
                          X