Would you cover for your kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you cover for your kid

Ok, so obviously this board doesn't have as many parents as ToOS, but I know we can probably still discuss this

Your kid comes to you and says (s)he is in trouble...being "wrongly" accused of a crime...wrong place wrong time, etc....

Anyway, you have no idea whether your kid is telling the truth or not....would you cover for him/her?

Is there a certain line of crime that they could cross?

I'd like to think that I'd cover for them, but I don't know, I don't have kids...the line I'd probably draw would be at sexual assault...I wouldn't cover for that

Re: Would you cover for your kid

Depends on their past and if they have done crimes before. If it seems like a totally isolated incident then yes, I would cover.

Comment

I would give my kid the benifit of the doubt and I would try to find out what happened. If my kid was wrongly accused then I would make sure they are legally protected. If my kid did do some illegal and the authorities new about it then I would expect him or her to face whatever punishment is administered by the legal system.

I think the real dilemma is if I found out one of my kids did commit a crime like stealing but the police had not and perhaps could not find out they did it. Would I report my own kid to the police or would I take parental punitive action?

If I tell the police I am likely to incur some legal bills and my kid suffers whatever punishment is handed out. If I handle it internally, I can avoid any legal bills but what kind of message does that send my kid?

Comment

Since I'll probably be a poor father, I wouldn't notice him until too late. So he would be deep within the legal system by the time I found him to be doing the wrong things.

Comment

Nope. Crime is wrong. Let him burn.

/WavetheWheat

Comment

I had this happen to me when I was young. Had the bus driver accuse me of doing something I didn't do. I was so angry about being wrongfully accused my parents were sure I was telling the truth. I don't remember what it was, but it was serious enough to get me kicked off the bus for the rest of the year. They handled it from that point on and the bus driver never said a word after that. I think you'll be able to tell, and should back them up vehemently.

Comment

It totally depends on the crime, the expected punishment, and the pattern of behavior leading up to it.

As a parent, I think it would have to be something really serious for me not wanting to cover for my kid. And unless you are a parent, I don't think you can understand this desire to protect your child.

This is not really the same thing since Sam was only 2 1/2 and obviously didn't know any better.......but I remember bringing Ben home from the hospital and really thinking Sam might kill him. He had HUGE adjustment issues to the new baby. I left the room once for a minute when Ben was about 2 weeks old and came back to seeing Sam hitting Ben on the head over and over with my husband's big shoe.....seriously, he just opened a huge can of whup ass on his little newborn head. I remember laying in bed that night with my husband talking about how he could cover for Sam if he ever did REALLY kill his brother. Those were good times.

(and, yes, I probably should have seen the projectile xbox controller destorying our tv based on this past behavior).

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2413.msg27430#msg27430 date=1291063055]

I remember laying in bed that night with my husband talking about how he could cover for Sam if he ever did REALLY kill his brother. Those were good times.

[/quote]

:wow:

Comment

did you ever share this feelings with the old man?

Comment

Working...
                  X