White Castle Stuffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Castle Stuffing

Ok, at first we thought this was a joke, but a newspaper columnist in Ohio has admitted to one of the most bizarre (or disgusting or ingenious -- take your pick) stuffing recipes ever: White Castle sliders.

In a recent blog post on the Columbus Dispatch's website, Jeffrey Sheban writes: "When I stuff a turkey, I eschew traditional bread cubes in favor of White Castle hamburgers," which, as he points out, are mostly bread and onions -- staples of most stuffing recipes.

Although it seems a little suspicious that the type of person who would resort to a fast-food drive thru for his holiday ingredients would also be able to use the word "eschew" correctly in a sentence, other aspects of his post corroborate his claim. For instance, he admits that he didn't actually debut his whacked-out stuffing recipe on Thanksgiving, but at a Super Bowl party. "No one in my family trusts me with real holidays," he writes. (Gee, wonder why.)

His description leads to a bit of queasiness. "The pickles? I leave a few to convince skeptics that the stuffing they crave emerged from a drive-through window that morning." He also adds "just enough sage and sautéed celery to fool a colony of Pilgrims."

White Castle Turkey Stuffing 1991 Cookoff Winner
    10[/t] White Castle hamburgers, no pickles
    1 1/2 cups[/t] celery, diced
    1 1/4 tsp.[/t] ground thyme
    1 1/2 tsp.[/t] ground sage
    3/4 tsp.[/t] coarsely ground black pepper
    1/4 cup[/t] chicken broth In a large mixing bowl, tear the burgers into pieces and add diced celery and seasonings. Toss and add chicken broth. Toss well. Stuff cavity of turkey just before roasting. Makes about 9 cups (enough for a 10- to 12-pound turkey). Note: Allow 1 hamburger for each pound of turkey, which will be the equivalent of 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound.
    Submitted by White Castle Family of Columbus, OH

Re: White Castle Stuffing

That square of stuff is hamburger? Who knew?

This recipe sounds tasty to me. I'm pretty sure I'd chow down on it.

Comment

I know people who add hamburger to their stuffing. I guess it wouldn't be too different from this.

Comment

my mom added sausage to the stuffing this year....it was good, but I just felt like it was unnecessary

Comment

Working...
        X