Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week In Movies: November 24th

Burlesque

[img width=409 height=600]http://moviesymas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Burlesque_Movie_Poster.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG-13
    Directed By: Steve Antin
    Starring: KRISTEN BELL, Cher, Christina Aguilera

TRAILER

Synopsis: Ali (Christina Aguilera) is a small-town girl with a big voice who escapes hardship and an uncertain future to follow her dreams to LA. After stumbling upon The Burlesque Lounge, a majestic but ailing theater that is home to an inspired musical revue, Ali lands a job as a cocktail waitress from Tess (Cher), the club's proprietor and headliner. Burlesque's outrageous costumes and bold choreography enrapture the young ingenue, who vows to perform there one day. Soon enough, Ali builds a friendship with a featured dancer (Julianne Hough), finds an enemy in a troubled, jealous performer (Kristen Bell), and garners the affection of Jack (Cam Gigandet), a bartender and fellow musician. With the help of a sharp-witted stage manager (Stanley Tucci) and gender-bending host (Alan Cumming), Ali makes her way from the bar to the stage. Her spectacular voice restores The Burlesque Lounge to its former glory, though not before a charismatic entrepreneur (Eric Dane) arrives with an enticing proposal...

Have you seen it FF24? No

FF24 Take: Not really too interested in this one. I guess I’m confused as to what this movie is. Is it a musical? It is a dance movie? This is Christina Aguilera’s feature film debut but I don’t think anyone really cares. The trailer is TERRIBLE, especially the part where she starts signing. Burlesque will be lucky to break the top 5 this weekend. KRISTEN BELL

Tangled

[img width=405 height=600]http://www.onlinemovieshut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tangled-movie-poster.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG
    Directed By: Nathan Greno and Byron Howard
    Starring: Mandy Moore, Ron Perlman, M.C. Gainey (FTW)
    TRAILER

Synopsis: Walt Disney Pictures presents "Tangled," one of the most hilarious, hair-raising tales ever told. When the kingdom's most wanted-and most charming-bandit Flynn Rider (voice of Zachary Levi) hides out in a mysterious tower, he's taken hostage by Rapunzel (voice of Mandy Moore), a beautiful and feisty tower-bound teen with 70 feet of magical, golden hair. Flynn's curious captor, who's looking for her ticket out of the tower where she's been locked away for years, strikes a deal with the handsome thief and the unlikely duo sets off on an action-packed escapade, complete with a super-cop horse, an over-protective chameleon and a gruff gang of pub thugs. In theaters this holiday season in Disney Digital 3D(TM), "Tangled" is a story of adventure, heart, humor and hair-lots of hair.

FF24 Take: Again, not really interested in this one. Looks like it should be solid entertainment for the kiddos if they have already seen Harry Potter 10 times. Getting, predictably, very very good reviews but looks pretty ho-hum.

Love and Other Drugs

[img width=405 height=600]http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news/20551/_1283981449.jpg[/img]

Rated: R
    Directed By: Edward Zwick
    Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway
    TRAILER

Synopsis: Handsome and charming pharmaceutical rep Jamie (Jake Gyllenhaal) falls head over heels for radiant free spirit Maggie (Anne Hathaway), and together the two people who never thought they would fall in love discover that their intense chemistry is more powerful than any drug on the market.

FF24 Note: This is the longest synopsis I could find for the movie. Great job 20th Century Fox marketing department.

FF24 Take: I, admittedly, kind of liked the trailers for this one so I was kind of shocked to see that it is just getting trashed in reviews. I don’t particularly care for Jake Gyllenhaal and I can stomach Anne Hathaway so I won’t have to go kicking and screaming if the wife wants to take this one in.

Faster

[img width=405 height=600]http://www.onlinemovieshut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Faster-Movie-Poster.jpg[/img]

Rated: R
    Directed By: George Tillman Jr.
    Starring: The Rock, Billy Bob Thornton, and Maggie Grace
    TRAILER

Synopsis: After 10 years in prison, Driver (Dwayne Johnson) has a singular focus - to avenge the murder of his brother during the botched bank robbery that led to his imprisonment. Now a free man with a deadly to-do list in hand, he's finally on his mission...but with two men on his trail - a veteran cop (Billy Bob Thornton) just days from retirement, and a young egocentric hitman (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) with a flair for the art of killing and a newfound worthy opponent. The hunter is also the hunted. It's a do or die race to the list's finish as the mystery surrounding his brother's murder deepens, and new details emerge along the way hinting that Driver's list may be incomplete.

FF24 Take: This movie has the potential to have long legs like TAKEN. That film, however, was rated PG-13 whereas FASTER is rated R, so that will hurt it. I like the tone of the trailer, kind of a, “Yeah, we know this movie is kind of silly, but it’s brutal.” I think it could be a solid matinee, especially if it is still around in a few weeks when all the Oscarbait comes out.

If I could see one movie this weekend what would it be? Sigh, probably Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows PT 1 again. But If I was forced to pick a new one probably FASTER, just because I’m in an action movie mood.

Coming Next Week: All Good Things, I Love You Phillip Morris

Ask The Wheat: I’ll let you all decide this. Next week I have the chance to see Tron: Legacy and True Grit early. Problem is that they are on the same time at the same day. What’s a movie nerd to do? I’m leaning towards Tron.

Re: This Week In Movies: November 24th

Tron.

Speaking of Anne Hathaway, was her claim on SNL that she got naked for this movie true? Or is it just PG-13 nudity?

Comment

[quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=2351.msg26686#msg26686 date=1290614331]
      Tron.

Speaking of Anne Hathaway, was her claim on SNL that she got naked for this movie true? Or is it just PG-13 nudity?
      [/quote]

It's true. It was called Havoc and it was a terrible terrible movie.

Comment

FF, I just got the 2nd and 3rd installments of HP today from Netflix. I've got nothing going on tonight, so I plan on watching them both.

What should I expect?

Comment

2 is long but Kenneth Branagh kills it.

3 is the best directed movie of the series with Alfonso Cuaron at the helm. Never really was my favorite book of the series but the new tone is a great change of pace from Chris Columbus.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2351.msg26694#msg26694 date=1290615739]
            Never really was my favorite book of the series but the new tone is a great change of pace from Chris Columbus.
            [/quote]
            I was wondering why the first one felt like I was watching a Home Alone sequel.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2351.msg26689#msg26689 date=1290614955]
              [quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=2351.msg26686#msg26686 date=1290614331]
              Tron.

[/quote]

[/quote]

But was it worth it?

Comment

[quote author=WolfShirtSophomore link=topic=2351.msg26735#msg26735 date=1290626482]
                [quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2351.msg26689#msg26689 date=1290614955]
                Tron.

[/quote]

[/quote]

But was it worth it?
                [/quote]

Let me google that for you.

Comment

[quote author=bobbything link=topic=2351.msg26692#msg26692 date=1290615358]
                  FF, I just got the 2nd and 3rd installments of HP today from Netflix. I've got nothing going on tonight, so I plan on watching them both.

What should I expect?
                  [/quote]

Meh.

Comment

So, I've watched the first four HP flicks. I found the first two to be pretty bleh. I honestly think it was because they felt more like kids movies. The third one was much, much better. Darker, more violent. I actually really liked it.

Watched the 4th one last night. I really liked that one too. I'm undecided on if I liked it better than the 3rd. But, they have gotten decidedly better since the first two, that's for certain.

Here's to the Order of the Phoenix being even better.

Comment

I took s&b to see Tangled this afternoon. The back story is that I am not a fan of animated films in general. My husband takes them to see 90% of their movies. But I am a sucker for a Disney princess story so I somehow conned them into going with me. I was prepared for a second-rate Disney flick, but I have to say that we all really, really liked it. I can see why the reviews were so positive. There was just enough action and "boy stuff" to keep the boys entertained and the storyline, music, and animation was MUCH better than I expected. It reminded me of a poor man's Little Mermaid...but in a good way.

Evolve....have you seen it yet? You would like.

Comment

Dear FF;

Is Anne naked on this new movie? Wank-material, or more like dude-opens-bathroom-door-and-surprises-her-and-we-see-her-butt-for-two-seconds disappointing material?

Sincerely;
                        Horny for Anne

Comment

Working...
                        X