Thanksgiving plans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanksgiving plans?

Where are you guys going and what are your traditions if any?

I'm going here.
    [img width=600 height=315]http://www.hodgman.org/travel/dino-2003/20030623-1860-Colby.jpg[/img]

We just eat a shitload of stuff and watch football all day. Then on Friday when all the women must go shop all day myself, my brother, and my grandpa stay home and enjoy ourselves away from the insane shopping women. You?

Re: Thanksgiving plans?

Washington, KS (or as the locals say, Warshington). Wednesday night at the Horn. Thursday night wine tasting with the family (or our excuse to get wasted). Friday back to Lawrence. Saturday, Border War.

Comment

This year, I'll fly in to Austin on Thanksgiving. We'll eat dinner at McCormick and Schmicks. Then the next day we'll go to my parents' home in Bryan, Texas, where I'll help those asshole hoarders I call my parents pack up their house to move. Oh, and my only sibling will not be there this year. I'm kind of bummed about it if you can't tell.

Comment

Back home in Larrytown. Glad the student exodus has begun. KJHK sounds freeform already. Crowds are diminishing. Roads are quieter.

Some family coming in. Happy times again, after another year.

Food, family, photos and maybe a few bottles of Beaujolais. Plus the always annoying Detroit and Dallas football games that mean both jack and shit except to a few diahrrea garglers from those respective hellholes.

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2345.msg26590#msg26590 date=1290571886]
          KJHK sounds freeform already.
          [/quote]

This doesn't mean it's something for you to look forward to. I did freeform this summer and wanted to kill myself, I won't be going back. It sucks now.

Comment

Back to KC Thurs for a quick trip and the KU/MU game Sat. Other than that just going to try and catch up with a couple friends.

Comment

[quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=2345.msg26594#msg26594 date=1290572023]
              [/quote]

This doesn't mean it's something for you to look forward to. I did freeform this summer and wanted to kill myself, I won't be going back. It sucks now.
              [/quote]

I listened to a bit today and it was weird people playing weird music. I dug it.

I worked at KJHK 1985-1989, and have done freeform shifts many, many times. You get some crappy jocks, but sometimes you get somebody who is fucking gifted in that studio. That's the beauty of it all.

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2345.msg26598#msg26598 date=1290572309]
                [/quote]

[/quote]

I listened to a bit today and it was weird people playing weird music. I dug it.

I worked at KJHK 1985-1989, and have done freeform shifts many, many times. You get some crappy jocks, but sometimes you get somebody who is fucking gifted in that studio. That's the beauty of it all.
                [/quote]

I understand. But the overall state of the station has gone downhill severely in the last few years.

Comment

I will go to the in-laws house for dinner. Take a nap while watching football. Then the wife will bribe me so I will go stay out all night and get something. I kind of enjoy it. I will be in and out of the store in 10 mins all objectives complete. Home for a quick nap and off to the hell we call work.

Comment

[img width=600 height=315]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/jayhawkerrr/kolby.jpg[/img]

Comment

I'm gonna fuck a turkey.

Comment

[quote author=TacoHut link=topic=2345.msg26607#msg26607 date=1290573397]
                        I'm gonna fuck a turkey.
                        [/quote]

you should do something special or different....it's a holiday after all.

Comment

[quote author=JackLord link=topic=2345.msg26610#msg26610 date=1290573578]
                          [quote author=TacoHut link=topic=2345.msg26607#msg26607 date=1290573397]
                          I'm gonna fuck a turkey.
                          [/quote]

you should do something special or different....it's a holiday after all.
                          [/quote]

I will use a dead one.

Comment

[quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=2345.msg26600#msg26600 date=1290572595]
                            [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I understand. But the overall state of the station has gone downhill severely in the last few years.
                            [/quote]

I don't necessarily agree. You probably missed the really ROUGH years, 1988, early 1990s. The idiotic journalism faculty tried to turn it into a Hits station -- but y'know, the hits from Alternative bands like U2 and R.E.M!!! -- and the students waged all-out war until it was changed back. There was a bullshit rotation system so the Program and Music Directors could limit what was played. People laughed at that (the good people, that is).

There were a few years not long ago when the station played almost nothing but hip-hop 24/7. I found it unlistenable then, but hip-hop is decidedly not my thing. I still tuned in when I was in town and TRIED to like it. I mostly listened for the breaks, to listen to the announcers. I listen for the newbs who say "kay JAYTCH kay," failing to clearly enuciate the separate letters J and H. (I heard that today, ack.) Mostly I listen to hear if the person on air is INTO IT, into what they're playing, in a groove, preaching their own weird 2-minutes or less gospel. When that happens it's glorious. Rare, but worth waiting for.

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2345.msg26613#msg26613 date=1290573711]
                              [quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=2345.msg26600#msg26600 date=1290572595]
                              [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't necessarily agree. You probably missed the really ROUGH years, 1988, early 1990s. The idiotic journalism faculty tried to turn it into a Hits station -- but y'know, the hits from Alternative bands like U2 and R.E.M!!! -- and the students waged all-out war until it was changed back. There was a bullshit rotation system so the Program and Music Directors could limit what was played. People laughed at that (the good people, that is).

There were a few years not long ago when the station played almost nothing but hip-hop 24/7. I found it unlistenable then, but hip-hop is decidedly not my thing. I still tuned in when I was in town and TRIED to like it. I mostly listened for the breaks, to listen to the announcers. I listen for the newbs who say "kay JAYTCH kay," failing to clearly enuciate the separate letters J and H. (I heard that today, ack.) Mostly I listen to hear if the person on air is INTO IT, into what they're playing, in a groove, preaching their own weird 2-minutes or less gospel. When that happens it's glorious. Rare, but worth waiting for.
                              [/quote]

I think you just hated it when I was there. But I'm sorry, it's much worse than it was. The students who are running it do not care. I know this because they've said just as much to me, face-to-face.

Comment

Working...
                              X