This Week In Movies: November 19th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week In Movies: November 19th

Sorry I'm a little late this week, stupid work.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 1

[img width=409 height=600]http://gossipteen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows-poster-Dan-Emma-and-Rupert-running.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG-13
    Directed By: David Yates
    Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

TRAILER

Synopsis: Without the guidance and protection of their professors, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) begin a mission to destroy the Horcruxes, the sources of Voldemort's immortality. Though they must rely on one another more than ever, dark forces threaten to tear them apart. Voldemort's Death Eaters have seized control of the Ministry of Magic and Hogwarts, and they are searching for Harry -- even as he and his friends prepare for the ultimate showdown.

Have you seen it FF24? Hellz Ya

FF24 Take: Let's get this out of the way right off the bat, I love the Harry Potter Series. I have read all the books and seen every movie at the midnight opening (or before for the past couple ones). After sitting on this one for 2 weeks I can say that I now think it is one of my favorites of the series. That is, of course, considering that this is only half of the final movie/book.

I think that the 7th book is very uneven. The beginning has been called Harry Potter's Camping Adventure and that's really not that far off. There is a lot of walking (or apparating) and talking, and walking and talking, and walking and talking. It is very Lord of the Rings like in some ways. So, because of this, the acting from the kids really has to carry the first part of Hallows and they really come through. There are some great action pieces in the film that I can't recall if they are 100% accurate to the book, especially the final couple of scenes. I really enjoyed the sequences in London and the Ministry.

This film (and I'm sure part 2 also) do a 180 in the way the movie series was headed. At the beginning (movies 1 and 2) they were very loyal to the books and in turn that made some long and tedious movies. They started to take some major liberties with the books (around Goblet) to make the movies more like movies and less like books, a good thing in my eye. The best use of this was in Order of the Phoenix where they produced a very tight movie that still had all the high points of the book and none of the fat. The worst example was Half Blood Price where they cut SO much out that it didn't even seem like they were going off of the book anymore. With Hallows they are back to sticking right to the book (I imagine because of Rowling pressing them, or maybe just so they could stretch it out to two movies). I didn't much mind it in this one, felt more like Azkaban than Chamber of Secrets.

I do have some minor quibbles with the movie and they are all visual. There are some VFX shots that look like they are straight out of the third Matrix movie...and that's not good. If you have already seen the movie I'm talking specifically about the final shot of the movie and Voldemort "crashing" during the chase at the beginning. It seemed like they were trying to cram EVERY character that has ever appeared in a Harry Potter movie into this one part of Hallows. The book was the same way and it worked a lot better in print than in the movie. There are some major deaths in the final book and there are a few in PT 1 of Hallows, one of which really annoyed me. It happens near the beginning and happens off camera...to a major character...and is then just mentioned in passing after the action sequence. In a 2 hour 30 minute movie you couldn't spare 1 minute to actually show this character dying? Again, mostly minor nitpicks.

Avoid the IMAX as this wasn't shot for IMAX screens and thank God they didn't try and pump out a half assed 3D version.

For reference my rankings of Harry Potter Movies in terms of entertainment:

1. Goblet Of Fire
    2. Deathly Hallows PT 1
    3. Order of the Phoenix
    4. Prisoner of Azkaban
    5. Chamber Of Secrets
    6 (tie) Sorcerer's Stone
    6 (tie) Half Blood Prince (I have some serious issues with this one)

The Next Three Days

[img width=405 height=600]http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/the-next-three-days-poster.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG-13
    Directed By: Paul Haggis
    Starring: Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson
    TRAILER

Synopsis: His wife convicted of a murder she swears she did not commit, a college professor plots to break her out of prison in this thriller starring Russell Crowe and Liam Neeson. John Brennan (Crowe) and his wife Lara (Elizabeth Banks) we're happily married and raising a family when their lives fell apart in the blink of an eye. Lara has been charged with murder, and despite every effort to prove her innocence, the judge sentences her to an extended prison sentence. Meanwhile, on the outside, John files multiple appeals while struggling to raise their children and maintain his career. Lara's future starts to look especially grim, however, after the final appeal is rejected, and she admits that she'd rather commit suicide than spend the rest of her life behind bars. Determined to save his wife after the justice system fails her, John seeks the advice of an ex-convict (Liam Neeson) who staged his own daring prison escape in order to draw up an airtight plan. Later, John prepares to put his life on the line for the woman he loves, and sets the plan into motion with the knowledge that one false move could be his last.

Have you seen it FF24? No

FF24 Take: A list talent and this looks like just a matinee for me. So far it's not tracking well numbers wise and the reviews are mediocre to poor.

If I could see one movie this weekend what would it be? HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PT 1

Coming Next Week: Tangled, Burlesque, Love and Other Drugs, Faster

Re: This Week In Movies: November 19th

I saw HP EARLY this morning with my 13yo. She loved it. I loved it. Great flick.

Comment

The girlfriend is making me go see HP next week. Not a huge fan of the series or fantasy stuff in general. Glad to hear its at least a good movie.

Comment

I've never had any interest in the Harry Potter books or movies, thus I've never seen more than about 5 minutes of any of them. I've always thought they looked pretty meh. However, for whatever reason, the previews for the new one look fun.

I have just Netflix'd the first 6 movies and will be watching them in sequential order.

I've always been a huge fan of the LOTR movies, and pretty much always hated the Star Wars movies. I hope that these fall somewhere in between.

Comment

The problem that they started running into in the later Potter movies is that they pretty much assumed you had read the books. If you didn't the gloss over some pretty important story stuff (SEE THE MOTHER FUCKING HALF BLOOD PRINCE) that you won't get.

Comment

Going to see Harry Potter tomorrow! :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

Comment

[quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=2271.msg25692#msg25692 date=1290201670]
              Going to see Harry Potter tomorrow! :runaway: :runaway: :runaway:
              [/quote]

[img width=218 height=600]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/filmfanatic24/Untitled-2-1.jpg[/img]

Comment

What is FF24's take on Skyline?

Comment

[quote author=Bernie Lomax link=topic=2271.msg25698#msg25698 date=1290202637]
                  What is FF24's take on Skyline?
                  [/quote]

I still haven't seen it. Going to wait for Blu-Ray due to all of the terrible terrible reviews I have seen.

Comment

Your thoughts on Girl who kicked the fire-y dragon tattoo?

Comment

[quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=2271.msg25705#msg25705 date=1290203807]
                      Your thoughts on Girl who kicked the fire-y dragon tattoo?
                      [/quote]

I shamefully haven't gotten into that series yet (you would think that running a movie theatre I would actually watch lots of movies, but these days its just not the case) . The wife has watched them and doesn't enjoy them near as much as the books, fwiw.

Comment

I'm just waiting for that flick where cowboys fight ninjas.

The rest look teh suck.

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2271.msg25883#msg25883 date=1290296669]

The rest look teh suck.
                          [/quote]

You mean cowboys fight aliens?

Comment

Burlesque looks like it's full of shitty dialog, from the previews. I'm wondering if it's overhyped because of Cher and Aguilera.

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2271.msg25894#msg25894 date=1290299042]
                              [quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2271.msg25883#msg25883 date=1290296669]

The rest look teh suck.
                              [/quote]

You mean cowboys fight aliens?
                              [/quote]

That's the Jon Favreau one, with Harrison Ford. Looks fun as well. But I'm thinking of this one, due soon:
                              [img width=404 height=600]http://www.onlinemovieshut.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/the-warriors-way-movie-poster.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X