• Show
Clear All

• Going to Asia tomorrow

Singapore
    Phuket, Thailand
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Hong Kong
    Seoul, South Korea

Anyone ever visit these locations? Any suggestions for what I should pack (attire, meds/bathkit, tech, paperwork)? I want to be able to get into higher end hotels or restaurants, but I'll also be doing some hiking and bumming at the beach. I'll be staying in hotels and hostels, so I won't be walking around with my bags too much. I'm thinking of taking my big Kelty 6400 and my small Northface day pack for carry-on.

Suggestions?

Re: Going to Asia tomorrow

What's the purpose of the trip and are you going solo? Regardless, I am thinking you probably should have worked through those questions about a month ago - or am I missing something here?

Comment

I've traveled a good portion of the world save for Asia, so colour me envious. And yes, that's how I've always spelled colour; DEAL WITH IT.

Anyways, I've had a few friends go on a similar leg through Asia and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Thailand in particular sounds amazing and I'm a huge fan of Thai cuisine, so be sure to eat plenty of kaeng khiao wan for me. Be safe and enjoy yourself!

Comment

Guide to traveling Asia

Comment

Don't chew gum in Singapore.

Oh, and send me postcards. Lots of them.

Have fun!!!

Comment

U.S. medical grade Penicillin

Comment

I'd like to spend a lot of time in Asia.....Carrera.

Comment

[quote author=IceHawkE link=topic=2270.msg25625#msg25625 date=1290176650]
                What's the purpose of the trip and are you going solo? Regardless, I am thinking you probably should have worked through those questions about a month ago - or am I missing something here?
                [/quote]

Vacation. 2.5 weeks.

I should have worked through the details, but I didn't because I just moved apartments over the last week (which really isn't an excuse). I was consulting the Oread, because I'm packing tonight and didn't want to miss anything.

Comment

I spent 6 weeks in Thailand and a year in Okinawa and Tokyo area. The exchange rates in Thailand are going to allow you to live like a king. You have got to see the Cobra show, midget boxing, Thai boxing, and eat some REAL super hot, spicy Thai food. That shit we eat here does not really resemble authentic Thai food. It's going to be super hot and probably rainy most of the time. You need to take some anti-malaria medication and dress in loose fitting shirts and probably pants so you don't get bit the fuck up all the time since bugs are everywhere. Also be prepared to possibly be sick when you're there since we are not used to the bacteria that is in their food. Not sure if there is anything you can take to prevent that. I wish I could go back sometime but I'd want to hit up Beijing and some other places in Asia I haven't been to. Hong Kong sounds awesome. What are you looking to do at all these places? Go see some buddhist temples in Thailand as well if you can and hike around some of the surrounding jungle/mountain areas. We had to hike with the Thai Marines on a 5 day like 60 mile hike over a mountain into Cambodia. We slept on hammocks because there is no way you can sleep on the ground.

Comment

Gary Glitter Pt. 2. Get it, Randy!

Comment

[quote author=DeutschHistorian link=topic=2270.msg25661#msg25661 date=1290190458]
                      I spent 6 weeks in Thailand and a year in Okinawa and Tokyo area. The exchange rates in Thailand are going to allow you to live like a king. You have got to see the Cobra show, midget boxing, Thai boxing, and eat some REAL super hot, spicy Thai food. That shit we eat here does not really resemble authentic Thai food. It's going to be super hot and probably rainy most of the time. You need to take some anti-malaria medication and dress in loose fitting shirts and probably pants so you don't get bit the fuck up all the time since bugs are everywhere. Also be prepared to possibly be sick when you're there since we are not used to the bacteria that is in their food. Not sure if there is anything you can take to prevent that. I wish I could go back sometime but I'd want to hit up Beijing and some other places in Asia I haven't been to. Hong Kong sounds awesome. What are you looking to do at all these places? Go see some buddhist temples in Thailand as well if you can and hike around some of the surrounding jungle/mountain areas. We had to hike with the Thai Marines on a 5 day like 60 mile hike over a mountain into Cambodia. We slept on hammocks because there is no way you can sleep on the ground.
                      [/quote]

Yeah, this sounds awesome.

Comment

[quote author=Protist link=topic=2270.msg25743#msg25743 date=1290213230]
                        [quote author=DeutschHistorian link=topic=2270.msg25661#msg25661 date=1290190458]
                        [/quote]

Yeah, this sounds awesome.
                        [/quote]

You haven't lived 'til you've almost died in a strange foreign land. No really, I've gotten deathly ill pretty much every time I've traveled abroad. But hey, I chalk it up as part of the whole experience.

Comment

I know that I am going to get food poisoning on this trip. I love Asian food too much to stay away from street vendors and shady kitchens.

Comment

Before you bang a street walker make sure and check her adam's apple.

Comment

[quote author=DeutschHistorian link=topic=2270.msg25795#msg25795 date=1290230746]
                              Before you bang a street walker make sure and check her adam's apple.
                              [/quote]

Enjoy Orchard Towers in Singapore.

Comment

Working...
                              X