Good charities to give to for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good charities to give to for Christmas

My family always does a huge secret name-drawing for gifts every year for Christmas. The gifts are always super-lame and uncreative, since we're supposed to give a list of possible gifts. This year, I want to just have my gift be a donation to a good charity. But I can't really think of any charities that really compel me.

I would like to give something that helps kids, in the line of Make a Wish or Hole in the Wall Gang. Any good suggestions?

Obviously, I have already considered giving to the Human Fund, Hoopo Beer Foundation, and the Get Jefe Laid Project, so you can save those responses.

Re: Good charities to give to for Christmas

The United Way. It's one of the best established charities and it has really low overhead costs.

Comment

Do the angel tree or whatever your local equivalent is. It's always the most rewarding for us anyway. You actually get to make a kid's christmas.

Comment

As Randy said, The United Way is awesome due to their low overhead and trustworthiness.

If you want to truly do something to support kids and make it meaningful for you, what about adopting a family to sponsor? We usually adopt a family with a single parent and buy gifts for them. They always give you suggestions so it makes it easy. I try to pick families with boys that are roughly Sam and Ben's age. They get a lot out of the experience b/c we all go shop together and I let them pick out the gifts. (I think you said you had a 3-year-old? This is a good age to get them started on making Christmas not just about the presents that THEY receive).

I know it's a lot more work on your part than just writing a check and calling it good. But it puts me in the Christmas spirit more than anything. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Agreed. This is what I meant by Angel Tree. There's a big tree at the mall with kids names/ages and a small list on them.

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2187.msg24500#msg24500 date=1289853345]
          As Randy said, The United Way is awesome due to their low overhead and trustworthiness.

If you want to truly do something to support kids and make it meaningful for you, what about adopting a family to sponsor? We usually adopt a family with a single parent and buy gifts for them. They always give you suggestions so it makes it easy. I try to pick families with boys that are roughly Sam and Ben's age. They get a lot out of the experience b/c we all go shop together and I let them pick out the gifts. (I think you said you had a 3-year-old? This is a good age to get them started on making Christmas not just about the presents that THEY receive).

I know it's a lot more work on your part than just writing a check and calling it good. But it puts me in the Christmas spirit more than anything. Just a suggestion.
          [/quote]

Comment

[quote author=sweaterbydarwin link=topic=2187.msg24502#msg24502 date=1289853670]
            Agreed. This is what I meant by Angel Tree. There's a big tree at the mall with kids names/ages and a small list on them.

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=2187.msg24500#msg24500 date=1289853345]

[/quote]
            [/quote]

I like this idea. Is there any coordinated website or other resource to find the local "chapter?"

This may be stupid, but while United Way may be great, I feel like it's doing pretty well with its funding with its connection to the NFL and the publicity it gets, so I'm not into it as much.

Comment

[quote author=KingofCarrotFlowers link=topic=2187.msg24510#msg24510 date=1289856244]
              [quote author=sweaterbydarwin link=topic=2187.msg24502#msg24502 date=1289853670]

[/quote]
              [/quote]

I like this idea. Is there any coordinated website or other resource to find the local "chapter?"

This may be stupid, but while United Way may be great, I feel like it's doing pretty well with its funding with its connection to the NFL and the publicity it gets, so I'm not into it as much.
              [/quote]

As long as you're giving, who cares how you do it? Amirite?

Comment

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2187.msg24513#msg24513 date=1289856788]

[/quote]

Only took an hour for that one.

Comment

Like I'm on this board every second of my life.

Comment

More as in I was going to do the same, but was an hour late.

Comment

Hey, it's not like we didn't think of it, but the op already mentioned it

If not the direct family gift give you can always buy them an Xmas dinner. When I give it's usually to Boys and Girls Club or BBBS. Big brothers.

Comment

[quote author=KingofCarrotFlowers link=topic=2187.msg24510#msg24510 date=1289856244]

[/quote]
                          [/quote]

[/quote]

You can just do a search for your local Angel Tree or the Salvation Army always has programs to buy presents for needy kids. If you want to sponsor an entire family, we go through our local YMCA.

Comment

[/quote]
                            [/quote]

[/quote]

We do this every year and also pick a family that has a kid the age of our son (4). We get a family via my aunt who runs a charity in Olathe.

Comment

Working...
                            X