Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potluck Roomie thread

Tell us your stories

Freshman year, 2004 3South McCollum (law and order noise)

I opted for the potluck roomie rather than trying to live with my best buddy from high school...wanted to meet people rather than hang with my HS crowd...well, I probably would have been better off living with my best friend

I got stuck with the dirtiest mother fucker you've ever seen...deep down he was a nice guy, but he was just the dirtiest piece of trash you'd ever meet.

First off, the guy had a mustache...wrapped over his lip into his mouth...secondly, he didn't bring a towel or a toothbrush, so he didn't shower and he didn't brush his teeth...saving grace was he went home to work as pizza hut delivery man every weekend...so, giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he went home and cleaned up on the weekends

Next, the dude was obsessed with the Online Final Fantasy game...11 or 12, can't remember...not knocking that stuff, cause I love the series, but I'd leave at 8:30 for class and come back at 2:30 and he wouldn't have moved....I remember one time I asked him what the deal was and he said, "oh. I forgot to look at the clock" ok....awesome

Lastly, the guy pretty much literally brought nothing to share...I did pretty well at my job in HS and made decent money, so I brought a 27" flat SCREEN (not panel, the thing was a beast), sound system, ps2, xbox, fridge, tv stand, etc....this guy brought a microwave from the 60's....think, 5 minutes to pop a bag of popcorn

Ah, the true last story....at one point Roommate was leaning back and the back of his chair broke...prompting him to have his mom and dad get him a new office chair...all well and good...then he realized that the box would work well as a TRASH CAN..he threw everything in there for about two months until it was full...then refused to take it out....got one of my friends to help me take it to the dumpster...right before we got there, apparently the bottom was wet cause it ripped out and spilled everywhere....disgusting

About spring break a POS on the hall got evicted for pulling a fire alarm and peeing in the water fountain, so I moved in with his roommate

All in all, a good experience for stories, but it was an interesting time in my life

Now, share with us your stories

Re: Potluck Roomie thread

My experience similar but not potluck. I ended up living with a buddy from high school. He ended up being a complete drama queen. He moved into his own apartment after 3 months and I got the dorm room to myself. I ended up living with him again with 2 more friends my sophomore year and he was disgustingly dirty. Never wash dishes, Would leave them all over the house, and sometimes hidden in places where'd they'd start to mold.

To get him to stop we started taking his dirty dishes and putting them on his bed so he had to do something with them. He bitched at us about saying he'd get to it.

He left his dirty clothes all over the house even though our washer/dryer was in teh basement.

He went home every weekend to visit his girlfriend because she wouldn't come out because she knew all of us hated her.

The breaking point was over xmas break he was the last person to go home and he turned the heat up to 83 and never turned it down before he left so our bill was outrageous and he didn't think he should have to pay any more than we should have. A few months later we were watching TV in our living room where he set up his TV + entertainment system. He set it up wrong so the receiver had no room (literally a mm) to breath for the fan to keep it cool and it overheated. Even though we told him taht when he said it up that it wasn't gonna be able to breathe he claimed it was how it was set up at home. He thought we should have to pay him to replace it because he set it up wrong and we were all watching TV when it happened.

We gave him 25% of hte costs and said he should have listened to us when setting it up and we aren't taking blame. He threw a tantrum and took all his shit out of the living room, so we started putting our stuff in there. After that he rarely came around

Comment

I never did the Potluck, but my friend Brooke lived in GSP with a girl named Megan who loved LOTR. Brooke moved in to her room late and by the time she arrived, Megan had covered the room with LOTR posters. Megan also required that the lights be off by 8:30 every night, even if Brooke wanted to stay up late or study or had to come back from work after that. Needless to say, she moved out after two weeks.

Comment

Coming to KU from MN, I literally knew zero people so I had no choice but to go potluck.

Got into a 4 person suite in Lewis. Happened to be with 3 guys who all grew up together and came in together. (They all went to JuCo for a year so technically they were sophomores, but it was their first year at KU).

They welcomed me in, we had a fucking great time. Sure, there were little problems, not just with me, everyone had them with everyone. But nothing big, and we had a great year.

Lived with those 3 plus a guy that lived next door to us that year in a house for the following 2 years. Still live with 2 of them. The other 2 graduated and have moved to the KC area. All 5 of us still great friends.

Comment

I had a potluck roommate my freshman year. I remember getting her name and address from KU and I looked up her phone number to call her. I called and asked for "Elizabeth" as that's what it said. She went by Liz and her mom thought I was a solicitor and tried to hang up on me. Needless to say after I was able to explain to her mother that I was her new college roommate, Liz called me back and we made plans to meet when I came down from MN for orientation. I still give her mom a hard time about trying to hang up on me.

We spent every day together freshman year of college and people thought we were sisters. She's been Africa for just over 2 years with the Peace Corps and is one of my best friends to this day. I keep in touch with her a little but I'm friends on Facebook friends with her mom and dad and we've kept in touch that way while she's been gone. She comes home on my birthday in January and will be coming to Tulsa to stay with me for a week. I can't wait!

Comment

Most or all of you know I didn't go to KU for undergrad because I could not afford out of state tuition and got a free ride at tOSU.

I lived in the Stadium Dorm, under the bleachers in Unit W. Units were set up with six rooms and a large bathroom/shower at the end of the inside part of the hallway. No rooms had windows because that was the main Walkway from Unit to unit, along the outside on all three floors. This dorm was primarily for non-revenue sports scholarship students, men and women.

I am telling this about my room-mate, but he could easily tell a compelling story about me I am sure.

I was on the soccer team and the Coach was from Chile, and all team members save for three were from Chile, Equador and Venesuela. I had hair that reached the middle of my back, a FuManchu and a Goate. Looked quite a bit like Charles Manson. My roomate was a gymnast. His full bearded (off season) self was all of 5'2". I honestly thought at first I had a leprechaun for a roomate. Honestly, still pretty much do.

Anyway, he got to the room before I did and the dude was 120% OCD. He had already measured, and put a pencil line down the middle of the built in double desk, on the top of the six drawer side by side dresser, and even put tape on the bar in the closet to delineate two equal sides for hanging clothes.

I am not a slob, but you can't bounce a quarter off my made bed either. A quick pull the covers over the pillow and I am done. Probably could have bounced a bowling ball off his bed without ruffling the sheets or blanket of his, it was so tight.

In one week we hated each other. He was always telling me I should 'dust' my side of the desk, I shouldn't bring beer into 'his' room and other nonsensical stuff.

*** Other important information you need to know *** I was also a "walkon" for the rifle team. Even got to compete in one competition. I had my own rifle. This was back when we used .22's, before they mandated most competitions use air rifles. But I digress, he saw me move it into my room the first day. I saw his eyes bugg out, so I actually hid it by taking the ceiling vent out and putting it in the AC/Heat duck work when he wasn't around. AND, my Dad had given me his Army Field Jacket from when he served in Germany, which I used as a coat, and I put the freeze liner in it in the Winter and it was as warm as any Parka. Had an overseas tag on it with My Last Name, stitched not printed, and I told people I was a combat vet, not true but some bought it, including him.

Anyway about a week and half into the first semester I sat down to do my chemisty homework on the desk with the pencil line down the middle, my roomate sitting on his bed reading. At one point the corner of one of my one of my papers apparently was sitting about 2.5 mm over the pencil line. He pointed it out to me.

Smoke came out of my ears, I jumped up, grabbed a marks a lot andrew a horizontal line across the one mirror in the room. I pointed at the bottom half of the mirror, which went from about waist high to my chin, and said, "This is MY half of the mirror. DO NOT let me catch you using it."

Dude crumpled onto his bed, shaking, tearing up about to cry.

He never again said a word to me, and began sleeping at his girlfriends house about 16 miles from campusat least 5 nights out of the week. He moved out permenantly at semester.

I had that room two more years and never had another room mate. A double room all to myself, except for the female vollyball player who live in unit T but rarely ever saw her true roomate my Junior year.

But really, I was NOT THAT scary.

Comment

My freshman year roommates:

1) Super smart guy who was on the KU football team, really nice, did well with the ladies, but also an extremely violent drunk who got kicked out of the hall for punching a security guard. Went to spring break with him where he passed out in front of an oven which he had began cooking a frozen pizza in and burnt the heck out of it, setting off the fire alarm. Once threw a banana at my head. Now a doctor after graduating from Northwestern med school.

2) Total loser dude who was best friends with #1. Completely lame, pierced his tongue for some chick who he fingerbanged in the back of a full van of people. He moved out at semester break to join a frat. Last I heard, he was still an undergrad in his 8th year and working at some restaurant in Lawrence, after being fired from about every other one in town.

3) Cuban dude who was the lamest person I've ever met. Hid bottles of Rolling Rock in his dresser. Once asked us if you could get an STD if someone gave you a handjob OVER your pants. Moved out at semester to go to a different hall, because he hated me, #1, and #2. He really sucked.

4) Country boy who moved in after semester. Transferred from Fort Scott. Had a girlfriend who was very loud in bed. We called her the beast and she was super-homely. Ultimately a nice guy, but he dipped and had his ugly girlfriend over quite a bit.

5) Australian dude. Really a good dude, but he came straight from 1985. Smelled kinda bad. Wore stonewashed jeans and tank tops.

Despite all this, most of my friends actually came from that hall. Really good people, but I didn't click at all with the people assigned to me, although I stayed friends with #1.

Comment

When I first came to KU there was no way I would live in the dorms or join a frat because I was first transferring from Juco and second had spent 4 years in the Marines. I decided to just take this room in an apt/house at 1217 Kentucky with three other people I had not met. The one guy who was there already had lived there for like 2 or 3 years at least and the other two were both moving in at the same time as me. When I went to look at the place he wasn't there so I had to look at one of the other apts to get a sense for the rooms but didn't actually look at the place I'd be staying. When we moved in August from the moment I set foot in that place it was one of the most disgusting places I've ever been in. The f**king douche had basically just piled up dishes all over the kitchen, in the sink, in the dishwasher, on the stove, on the floor, all dirty and it looked like he would just wash off what he needed and then use it but never clean all of the dishes. He had recycling he claimed he was going to take to the center piled up in a mountain. He had tons of trash piled up as well as if he just never wanted to take the trash out and naturally his bathroom which I had the fortunate luck of having to share with him was dirty as fuck. So the first thing myself and the other new roommates did was clean that fucking shithole.

Roommate 1: The guy who lived there before us was the type of guy who probably was still a virgin, and spent his entire day and night mostly in his room with the door closed studying. His alarm would go off randomly at any time of day or night for some reason so when we had friends over they'd be like wtf is this guy's deal. We come home from the bars his alarm is going off. We are hanging out in the afternoon his alarm goes off. No clue why. He was trying to get into PhD/Medical schools to be a lab rat so his entire life was in his room studying and probably jerking off. He also would never talk to us. If I came down the hill and passed him walking up the hill he wouldn't even acknowledge that he saw me let alone say hi.

Roommate 2: Sammy was a Kenyan dude who wasn't too bad of a roommate for me but the next year when the other two dudes moved out and two chicks moved in he proceeded to sexually harass them at all times prompting them to move out after only 4 months. They also, which I wasn't aware of how dirty women could be, dirtied their bathroom to the point that the entire sink and bathtub/shower were black and had hair everywhere, and when they moved out suddenly in December didn't clean the fucking bathroom.

Roommate 3: An older bald dude who was getting his masters in higher education admin. Total douche. He'd be up at 6 in the fucking morning talking on the phone to his long distance ugly girlfriend and laughing loud as fuck waking up Sammy all the time.

The two people who replaced the two girls inherited the most disgusting bathroom ever and still never cleaned it until they moved out. I've never quite understood how human beings can be okay with bathing in filth. Makes no sense to me. The landlady for some reason missed it as the others moved out so she made sure and told them that the fucking bathroom needed to be cleaned before they can move out. One of them was a chick from San Diego who was a total tool and wouldn't talk to any of us. It didn't help that the one of the previous roommates contacted her and told her that Sammy sexually harasses everyone. She would also turn off the AC in the middle of the summer when it was like 100 outside and we lived on the 3rd floor even though we told her repeatedly not to.

I do not miss the potluck or roommates in general.

Comment

3) Cuban dude who was the lamest person I've ever met. Hid bottles of Rolling Rock in his dresser. Once asked us if you could get an STD if someone gave you a handjob OVER your pants. Moved out at semester to go to a different hall, because he hated me, #1, and #2. He really sucked.

[/quote]

Wow, Jefe has really come a long way in his sexual prowess.

My roommate situation was very odd. Most of my best friends from high school ended up at KU and in the same dorm as me, but we all decided to go pot luck so we could meet new people. But the funny thing was that I got paired with another girl from my high school who I knew fairly well. You would think the KU people would have noticed that when making room assignments. Obviously if we had WANTED to room together, we would have. In the end, we got along ok but she ended up dropping out at semester and one of my sorority sisters who needed a new roommate moved in with me.

Comment

Freshman year Roommate #1: Thought he was some kind of body-builder. Had this thing called the "Spartan Workout" that involved an unhealthy number of lifting reps and an unreal amount of protein powders. Also a WoW freak. Would play until 7am and then sleep all day through classes. Wake up at 5, eat, workout, play more WoW. Finally got kicked out of KU after one semester.

Freshman year Roommate #2: Guy from China. Watched Chinese Basketball all night with his speakers turned up full blast. Would yell on his phone in Chinese when he came back at 3am while I was sleeping. Woke me up all the time turning on lights and then leaving the room with them on. Spoke almost no English, or at least pretended not to.

Fortunately I had no roommate my second year.

Comment

My first roommate in college was a guy from Missouri who was a lame-ass slob. He was up all night working on his Aerospace drawings whilst washing out of school.

I went home on weekends to visit my parents, and he and his friend from Spain down the hall proceeded to completely trash our room and his, consuming all of my food in the process. We're talking tequila shots and broken furniture trashed.

It was a pretty miserable first semester. I counted the days until it was over and moved out. Then I moved into a house with my best friend in the Spring, and he was never around.

After that, I got married and had a kid.

Comment

[quote author=pieces of eight link=topic=2158.msg24319#msg24319 date=1289785729]
                        My first roommate in college was a guy from Missouri who was a lame-ass slob. He was up all night working on his Aerospace drawings whilst washing out of school.

I went home on weekends to visit my parents, and he and his friend from Spain down the hall proceeded to completely trash our room and his, consuming all of my food in the process. We're talking tequila shots and broken furniture trashed.

It was a pretty miserable first semester. I counted the days until it was over and moved out. Then I moved into a house with my best friend in the Spring, and he was never around.

After that, I got married and had a kid.
                        [/quote]

Sounds like you were the one who wasted all your time.

Home on weekends? Married? Kid? come on, live it up a little first.

Comment

[quote author=dominatindj11 link=topic=2158.msg24324#msg24324 date=1289786296]

Sounds like you were the one who wasted all your time.

Home on weekends? Married? Kid? come on, live it up a little first.
                          [/quote]

I hear you. I had a small group of friends I partied with, separate from the dorm crowd, but overall my college party life was pretty lame. I always woke up knowing where I was, unfortunately.

Comment

Potluck Roomie thread

[quote author=pieces of eight link=topic=2158.msg24326#msg24326 date=1289787452]

I hear you. I had a small group of friends I partied with, separate from the dorm crowd, but overall my college party life was pretty lame. I always woke up knowing where I was, unfortunately.
                            [/quote]

I didn't even have a party life. Met my now ex wife summer after frosh year. Got married and had kids.

Frosh roommate was fine. Had a lot in common. A couple of big dorks who were into computers and playing guitar. Didn't hang out much outside of the room, but never had any issues.

Comment

I was in a four person suite in Templin 04-05. One of my roommates was a gay black man. Couple stories, but this is my favorite.

One night he had his boyfriend Reggie over. Reggie was a real nice guy, easy to get along with, so I didn't mind him around althouh the gay thing was strange. I went to the bathroom and there was a brand new tub of lilac scented petroleum jelly on the counter. Well, I woke up the next morning, went back to the bathroom and there was a huge glob of petroleum jelly missing from the tub, as if two fingers had reached in a scooped out a bunch. I was unnerved.

Comment

Working...
                              X