Photophiles: Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photophiles: Help needed

I'm looking to buy an entry level Digital SLR for my vacation. I'm pretty much a newb to anything above the 'point and shoot' level of cameras, but I think I'm ready to take the big step into interchangeable lenses. I don't anticipate ever needing anything that is professional quality, but I don't mind spending money on quality. I consider this camera to be an investment, so I'd like to be able to upgrade lenses in the future.

I was looking at three models (but I'm open to others):

Nikon D5000

Canon EOS 500D

Olympus E-620

Any wheaters in the know?

Re: Photophiles: Help needed

I have had the d5000 for about a year now and love it. I highly recommend that you get the 55-200mm lens in addition to the kit lens if it is in your budget, you won't be disappointed.

My only gripe with that camera is the video. The audio is substandard at best and it doesn't preform really well in anything but bright light (still serviceable though).

Comment

I have an old Nikon F3 SLR, so it's not digital. But yes, you can never go wrong with Nikon as they're quite user-friendly and typically of bulletproof construction, not to mention Nikkor lenses rock.

Comment

I'm also considering the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1. I had a Panasonic Lumix a few years ago and loved it. It looks like this one has amazing video features, but quirky optics.

Comment

I'd go with the Nikon or Canon. Large lens selections and some cheaper options by comparison.

Comment

Oh and don't buy cheap 3rd party lenses. In this case you really get what you pay for.

Comment

Ok, I think I'm down to the Canon and the Nikon. I'm probably going to buy an additional lens (the kit lens is x3 for both).

Comment

An easy way to save money that most people don't realize:

Old standard film SLR lenses with with the new DSLRs as long as they are the same brand. You can find good quality, well kept lenses that are 5+ years old on Craigslist for DIRT CHEAP.

Comment

I have the Nikon D700, a 'full frame', camera, but also own the D70, a 2004 era DSLR. I really like Nikon.

Here a couple of review links of the Nikon D5000:

http://www.bythom.com/nikond5000review.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

I don't have review links for the Canon nor the Olympus cameras.

There are other 'kit' lenses if you just buy the body and lens separately. The 'kit' lens that normally comes with the D5000 is an 18-55mm zoom lens and if you do that, I, too would recommend getting the 55-200mm zoom as well.

You may have other options. Nikon makes an 18-200mm zoom that would cover the 18-55mm plus the 55-200mm ranges. This is more of an all-in-one lense. But, you may trade some performance for range. Another nice lens is the 16-85mm that goes a bit wider and longer than the 18-55mm kit lens.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Nikon or Canon cameras. I don't know enough about the Olympus line.

Comment

I think I'm going with the Nikon d5000 with both 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. From what I've read, the difference between it and the Canon are negligible to the beginner. It doesn't look like anyone that bought either has too much remorse. In the end, Nikon won out.

This camera is going to cost more than my plane tickets, but I have a feeling I'll get some life out of it.

Comment

Yeah it's a great camera and will last you a good long time.

Make sure you are shooting in RAW for editing purposes.

Comment

Working...
                      X