Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Veterans Day, 2010

It started as Armistice Day (text from my Grandfather's diary):

11th day 11th hour 11th month. Armistice took effect. The big guns fired up until almost the last minute at 11 O’clock. The church bells started & rang for 2 hours. American and French Flags hung most everywhere. Our Reg. Flag hung between the French from the up stairs window of the Marie

It was called Armistice Day then (The Great War, The World War and finally World War I) and updated to Veteran's Day to honor all American Veterans of all wars/police actions.

Re: Happy Veterans Day, 2010

Liberty Memorial - Kansas City, MO.

The Walk of Honor has engraved bricks. There is an area for World War I veterans as well as other for veterans of other wars.

Samuel K Hines (June 5, 1891 to June 2, 1966) served in the World War and this brick commerates his service and memory. He turned 26 in 1917, so he was a bit older than many of the soldiers and was promoted to corporal on October 19, 1918 (found out on October 31st !)

Grandpa's middle name was Kaiser ! I'm real sure not to many knew that fact during the war !

After World War I, poppies sprang from the earth and bloomed. Each poppy shown here (9,000 total) represents 1,000 casulties from the war.
    Last edited by cyclist; 03-03-11, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Good stuff cyclist.

To any vets on the board: Thank you.

Comment

An estimated twenty million people died in World War I. (Est. forty million in the sequel.) Staggering to think about the enormity of that number.

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2092.msg23477#msg23477 date=1289484525]
          An estimated twenty million people died in World War I. (Est. forty million in the sequel.) Staggering to think about the enormity of that number.
          [/quote]

The 1918 strain of influenza killed between 50-100 million people, to boot. Tough times.

Comment

this is the day we honor the baby killers of all generations and their memories

ok, I'm kidding....

2 of my uncles were in Vietnam, and I sent them both something for Vets day this year

Comment

My local brewery, Orlando Brewing, offers FREE BEER ALL DAY to veterans today and on Memorial Day.

I think that's cool.

Comment

Working...
              X