This Week In Movies: November 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Week In Movies: November 12th

Ok I'm doing this first week's post a little early since we have a movie coming out in wide release on Wednesday (will get more and more common as we get into Oscar season).

I'm still tweaking the format a little bit, if you have opinons or want something added for each movie let me know.

Unstoppable

[img width=409 height=600]http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/unstoppable-poster_465x682.jpg[/img]

Rated: R
    Directed By: Tony Scott
    Starring: Denzel Washington, Chris Pine, and Rosario Dawson

TRAILER

Synopsis: Unstoppable, a 20th Century Fox drama about a runaway train carrying a cargo of toxic chemicals. Pits an engineer and his conductor in a race against time. They're chasing the runaway train in a separate locomotive and need to bring it under control before it derails on a curve and causes a toxic spill that will decimate a town.

Have you seen it FF24? No

FF24 Take: I love me some Tony Scott (Man On Fire) but I can see how his directing style can be very divisive. I’m personally really sick of Denzel but I’m curious to see what Chris Pine can do here outside of the Star Trek role that he is going to forever be indentified with.

Morning Glory (Opens WEDNESDAY, November 10th)

[img width=405 height=600]http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/morning_glory_poster_02.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG-13
    Directed By: Roger Michell
    Starring: Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton

TRAILER

Synopsis: From director Roger Michell ("Notting Hill," "Venus"), producer J.J. Abrams (Felicity," "Alias," "Lost," "Star Trek," "Fringe"), and writer Aline Brosh McKenna ("The Devil Wears Prada," "27 Dresses"), comes "Morning Glory," a new romantic comedy set in the hilarious and dysfunctional world of morning television. Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton star, along with Patrick Wilson and Jeff Goldblum. When hard-working TV producer Becky Fuller (McAdams) is fired from a local news program, her career begins to look as bleak as her hapless love life. Stumbling into a job at "Daybreak" (the last-place national morning news show), Becky decides to revitalize the show by bringing on legendary TV anchor Mike Pomeroy (Ford). Unfortunately, Pomeroy refuses to cover morning show staples like celebrity gossip, weather, fashion and crafts, let alone work with his new co-host, Colleen Peck (Keaton), a former beauty queen and longtime morning show personality, who is more than happy covering morning "news." As Mike and Colleen clash, first behind the scenes and then on the air, Becky's blossoming love affair with fellow producer, Adam Bennett (Wilson) begins to unravel. And soon Becky is struggling to save her relationship, her reputation, her job and ultimately, the show itself.

Have you seen it FF24? Bits and pieces

FF24 Take: This is an odd combination of talent, heck J.J. Abrams produced it. The casting is near perfect, Diane Keaton fits right into that “Today Show” anchor role and this looks like a great part for the aging Ford. I love Rachel McAdams and think it’s a shame she isn’t in more roles (maybe this is actually a good thing?). The parts I saw were fun and light hearted, definitely what you would call “Chick Flick” territory (it’s written by the screenwriter of The Devil Wears Prada).

Skyline

[img width=405 height=600]http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/08/20/skyline-poster.jpg[/img]

Rated: PG-13
    Directed By: Colin Strause and Greg Strause
    Starring: Eric Balfour, Donald Faison, Scottie Thompson (aka a lot of unknowns)

TRAILER

Synopsis: After a late night party, a group of friends are awoken in the dead of the night by an eerie light beaming through the window. Like moths to a flame, the light source is drawing people outside before they suddenly vanish into the air. They soon discover an otherwordly force is swallowing the entire human population off the face of the earth. Now our band of survivors must fight for their lives as the world unravels around them.

Have you seen it FF24? No

FF24 Take: This one has me very excited much the way Cloverfield did before it came out. Lot of unknowns in this movie and it could be very hokey. The directors financed the movie out of their own pocked with no studio support, something that is very rare for a project of this scale these days. From what I read it was shot entirely on location at the directors condoplex. The effects look really well done, so that gives me hope. Let’s just hope there is some acting and plot to back it up.

If I could see one movie this weekend what would it be? SKYLINE

Re: This Week In Movies: November 12th

Skyline could be really awesome. I just wish Eric Balfour wasn't in it.

Unstoppable looks to me to be a total piece of redundant shit. Speed + Under Siege 2 + post-Training Day Denzel = steaming pile. I just can't imagine it's any good.

Comment

Agreed, the premis of Unstoppable looks pretty done to death. But that is where Tony Scott comes in. Dude could make a shot of an apple interesting.

Comment

This picture makes baby Jesus cry. When did Harrison Ford become a pussy?
        [img width=405 height=600]http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/morning_glory_poster_02.jpg[/img]

Comment

Somewhere around Random Hearts.

Comment

[quote author=Jhawk2001 link=topic=2066.msg23050#msg23050 date=1289338150]
            [/quote]

See Working Girl.

Comment

:bump:

I am going to enjoy these threads

Comment

Isn't there some hub-bub that the directors of Skyline stole a bunch of ideas from Battleground LA or whatever that Eckhart vehicle is? I'm a sucker for sci-fi but the dialogue in the trailer is painful. Any early screenings of it, FF?

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2066.msg23069#msg23069 date=1289340395]
                  [/quote]

See Working Girl.
                  [/quote]

If you're going to pay the guy $15-20mm, he'll dance for the cameras. It's not his fault chick flicks are profitable.

Comment

Friday morning bump.

Here are the weekend estimates:

Rank Title Pred.

1 Megamind $28.4
                    2 Unstoppable $24.1
                    3 Skyline $18.5
                    4 Due Date $17.7
                    5 Morning Glory $12.0
                    6 For Colored Girls $9.0
                    7 Red $6.2
                    8 Paranormal Activity 2 $3.4
                    9 Saw 3D $3.3
                    10 Secretariat $2.9
                    11 Jackass 3-D $2.6

Comment

[quote author=filmfanatic24 link=topic=2066.msg23734#msg23734 date=1289569910]
                      Friday morning bump.

Here are the weekend estimates:

Rank Title Pred.

1 Megamind $28.4
                      2 Unstoppable $24.1
                      3 Skyline $18.5
                      4 Due Date $17.7
                      5 Morning Glory $12.0
                      6 For Colored Girls $9.0
                      7 Red $6.2
                      8 Paranormal Activity 2 $3.4
                      9 Saw 3D $3.3
                      10 Secretariat $2.9
                      11 Jackass 3-D $2.6
                      [/quote]

I haven't heard of most of these. It's amazing how much you miss without commercials.

Comment

I, unfortunately, will be seeing Due Date this weekend with the wife and not Skyline.

grumblegrumblegrumble

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=2066.msg23211#msg23211 date=1289405467]
                          [quote author=Hoopo link=topic=2066.msg23069#msg23069 date=1289340395]
                          [/quote]

See Working Girl.
                          [/quote]

If you're going to pay the guy $15-20mm, he'll dance for the cameras. It's not his fault chick flicks are profitable.
                          [/quote]

He is almost 70. What do you want from the guy? Do you need him to jump in spaceship with a goddamn wookiee again?

Comment

A few friends saw Skyline last night and it was apparently shit-tastic. I'm not interesting in speeding trains either. When is Harry Potter coming out?

Comment

[quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=2066.msg23766#msg23766 date=1289573952]
                              A few friends saw Skyline last night and it was apparently shit-tastic. I'm not interesting in speeding trains either. When is Harry Potter coming out?
                              [/quote]

Is shit-tastic a good thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X