South Florida in January...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Florida in January...

Thinking about booking a trip somewhere warm in January. We have two roundtrip Southwest tickets, one of which expires in January, that are burning a hole in my pocket.

The Keys are probably at the top of the list, but am open to anywhere that will be warm - probably South of the line you could draw between Ft. Myers and West Palm...obviously it must be somewhat accessible via Southwest - but renting a car and driving a ways isn't off the table (see Key West, via FLL).

Thoughts on The Keys, Sanibel/Captiva, Marco Island, anything? The only thing I really don't want to do is Miami - I've been there enough, and want to do something different.

Re: South Florida in January...

Use the tickets to jump to a hub city and then go somewhere you really want to go.

For instance: fly into Phoenix and book a round trip to Baja.

Comment

Alright, Key West it is. Flights to FLL booked...5 nights in January.

What should we do/see? Where should we eat/drink?

Comment

It might be kind of dorky for your tastes, but I really liked the tour of Hemingway's house.

Also....you must eat the chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. And lots of conch fritters.

Comment

Last year Florida in January was really cold, like 30 degrees for the low for several weeks, with daytime highs only about 50, including the Keys.

As far as stuff to do, there are enough fun bars in Key West to keep your liver soaked for five days and nights. There are a few by the water.

There's also a Seafood Festival mid-January and the Food and Wine Festival at the end of the month. See the calendar here.

Comment

I am guessing you are driving from fort lauderdale. Be very careful on the drive down. That is one of the most dangerous highways in the US. People see whales while driving on 7 mile bridge and forget they are driving.

Check out the treasure museum. The Hemingway house is neat. I will get the name of a restaurant we went to when I was there last. I know it is ran out of a house, kind of expensive and very good. My brother and his family have been down there for 10 years now.

Comment

jefe, or should I say Mr. Florida, this is your cue

Comment

Also, Gem, recalling your fondness for the glass of spirits: Key West Bar Card

Comment

The restaurant name is Cafe Sole.

Comment

[quote author=WhiteSuxDirtyBirds link=topic=1870.msg20953#msg20953 date=1288697988]
                    I am guessing you are driving from fort lauderdale. Be very careful on the drive down. That is one of the most dangerous highways in the US. People see whales while driving on 7 mile bridge and forget they are driving.

Check out the treasure museum. The Hemingway house is neat. I will get the name of a restaurant we went to when I was there last. I know it is ran out of a house, kind of expensive and very good. My brother and his family have been down there for 10 years now.
                    [/quote]

eh, that's overblown. It's a freaking two lane highway.

Brother use to work at the Flying Monkey so it's a favorite of mine. Anything on Duval street will suit to get your drink on. There is an awesome butterfly museum dealio there too. Mallory Square at sunset is a must at least one night. You have to be the average American and go to the Southernmost point for a picture. I enjoyed the catamaran trip out to Fort Jefferson. Nothing special, but a good day trip out to a place not many people ever venture too.

Do yourself two favors: Eat at Ricky's Blue Heaven & at Noppe la Trattoria. Good eats, by any measure of the imagination.

You might want to hit up something in one of the other keys as well.

Where you staying?

Comment

[quote author=Hoopo link=topic=1870.msg20949#msg20949 date=1288683260]
                      Last year Florida in January was really cold, like 30 degrees for the low for several weeks, with daytime highs only about 50, including the Keys.

As far as stuff to do, there are enough fun bars in Key West to keep your liver soaked for five days and nights. There are a few by the water.

There's also a Seafood Festival mid-January and the Food and Wine Festival at the end of the month. See the calendar here.
                      [/quote]

I was in Orlando at the End of Feb and it was cold as shit, freezing every night, only got to 70 degrees 1 day

hope it's a lot warmer this January

Comment

Overblown my ass. Last time I drove there from Miami I was stuck on that fucking bridge for 6 hours because of a wreak. Some dipshit was gazing over the edge merged into the next lane and ran into another car. Both lanes closed. We had to wait on the emergency crews to help the people and thetow trucks to move the cars. It happens more than you think.

[quote author=Jayhawk1977 link=topic=1870.msg21259#msg21259 date=1288743543]
                        [quote author=WhiteSuxDirtyBirds link=topic=1870.msg20953#msg20953 date=1288697988]

[/quote]

Brother use to work at the Flying Monkey so it's a favorite of mine. Anything on Duval street will suit to get your drink on. There is an awesome butterfly museum dealio there too. Mallory Square at sunset is a must at least one night. You have to be the average American and go to the Southernmost point for a picture. I enjoyed the catamaran trip out to Fort Jefferson. Nothing special, but a good day trip out to a place not many people ever venture too.

Do yourself two favors: Eat at Ricky's Blue Heaven & at Noppe la Trattoria. Good eats, by any measure of the imagination.

Where you staying?
                        [/quote]

Comment

[quote author=WhiteSuxDirtyBirds link=topic=1870.msg21270#msg21270 date=1288746489]
                          Overblown my ass. Last time I drove there from Miami I was stuck on that fucking bridge for 6 hours because of a wreak. Some dipshit was gazing over the edge merged into the next lane and ran into another car. Both lanes closed. We had to wait on the emergency crews to help the people and thetow trucks to move the cars. It happens more than you think.

[/quote]

oh it sucks when there is an accident. been there done that, but don't act like it's a freaking death trap.

Comment

[quote author=Jayhawk1977 link=topic=1870.msg21259#msg21259 date=1288743543]

[/quote]

Where you staying?
                            [/quote]

Staying at The Reach Resort - it's a Waldorf Astoria collection hotel. It's on the beach, on the south side of the island, about a block east of Duval.

Comment

Working...
                            X