AWtW: Alternative TV options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AWtW: Alternative TV options

So we currently have DirectTV and are looking into an alternative option to cable or dish. We don't watch a lot of TV but still need some cartoons for my son as well as some other programming for me and the Mrs.

I know there are products out there, does anyone have a suggestion?

Re: AWtW: Alternative TV options

netflix

tons of cartoons for the kid

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=1866.msg20676#msg20676 date=1288632993]
      netflix

[/quote]

are you streaming Netflix? I think we can stream through our Wii.
      My concern is how to watch live sporting events. Is there a way to do this too?

Comment

Well....yeah that's fair...I guess I just have an antenna and get all network stuff free and in HD

If you have a 360 you can do netflix and espn3 HD (with the new update)

does your cable provider have espn3?

edit: sorry, for you I guess it would be internet provider

Comment

Oh, and yeah...I'm streaming netflix....$11.99/month I believe for unlimited instant, one disc at a time, and blu-ray

Comment

Forgive my ignorance but aren't there boxes(similar to AppleTV) out their that might be an option? Any knowledge of these?

I can get espn3, but how do we stream to the tv?

Comment

roku box would serve that function

as far as streaming espn3 that was added today on the new 360 update

depending on your TV you could hook up your laptop or desktop and use it as a monitor

Comment

[quote author=jsnook03 link=topic=1866.msg20678#msg20678 date=1288634302]
                [quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=1866.msg20676#msg20676 date=1288632993]
                netflix

[/quote]

are you streaming Netflix? I think we can stream through our Wii.
                My concern is how to watch live sporting events. Is there a way to do this too?
                [/quote]

Sporting events and staying current (for water cooler discussion) are the only drawbacks to Netflix. Most major sporting events are hosted and streaming online (justin.tv, channelsurfing, etc). Minor sporting events, like KU football are difficult to find at times.

Even with these shortcomings, I won't be buying cable again. I haven't had it for over two years (with the exception of one USA drama-fest-filled-summer) and I'm perfectly happy.

Comment

haha

Randy with the USA dig

BRINGIN' IT STRONG!

Comment

I have an ota antenna and get all locals in hd. I connect my laptop to my tv and stream some stuff. Outside of netflix, the quality is so shitty.

May look into espn3 for hoops season. I don't think its free on time warner

Comment

[quote author=blackPHOGmoan link=topic=1866.msg20704#msg20704 date=1288636913]
                      I have an ota antenna and get all locals in hd. I connect my laptop to my tv and stream some stuff. Outside of netflix, the quality is so shitty.

May look into espn3 for hoops season. I don't think its free on time warner
                      [/quote]

ota antenna? what is this?

Comment

[quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=1866.msg20680#msg20680 date=1288634823]
                        Oh, and yeah...I'm streaming netflix....$11.99/month I believe for unlimited instant, one disc at a time, and blu-ray
                        [/quote]

so you stream through 360? how is the quality?

Comment

Depends on connection...when it streams HD I think it's great...JHAWKjason might disagree...but yeah I stream through 360, PS3, and even on the iPhone

ota (over the air) antenna is the same as what I do...just buy a fifteen dollar antenna from walmart/bestbuy/target/wherever....hook it up where your coax goes, then scan for channels and you're good to go

Comment

[quote author=jsnook03 link=topic=1866.msg20711#msg20711 date=1288637707]
                            [quote author=Joe Norris link=topic=1866.msg20680#msg20680 date=1288634823]
                            [/quote]

so you stream through 360? how is the quality?
                            [/quote]

I stream through the PS3. It usually is DVD quality. The only time I notice streaming effects is when my network is having trouble or if it is just starting up the stream (about a few seconds of fuzz).

Comment

I'm interested to know if I went out and got an Xbox 360, would I be able to get ESPN 360 even though my ISP doesn't carry it? or do I have to switch to ATT or Verizon ISP?

Comment

Working...
                              X