Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my wife broke my new laptop screen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my wife broke my new laptop screen...

Currently using an external monitor. Sucks.

HP model number dv6-1350 - I bought it less than 1 year ago. Its worth fixing. Anybody have any success replacing your own screen? Is this something I should just pay for?

Laptop was originally about $800. I'd guess my choke point on buying/replacign a new screen is $250. Is this reasonable? Should I expect to pay more or less?

If you are from KC any luck getting this type work done? Currently looking at Microcenter.

Also, yes. My wife is being punished.

Re: So my wife broke my new laptop screen...

I have done replacements on many Dell laptops and the procedure was very easy.

Found one here:

http://www.buy.com/prod/15-6-led-lap...217087250.html

Comment

Yeah, it's not really hard to do it yourself, as long as you are careful and follow the directions--here's a link: http://www.pchelpforum.com/hardware-...0us-video.html. You could probably get one off of eBay for around $100.

Comment

Yeah, check the above links and check ebay and see if you can save on there. I've replaced them, they're not too bad if you follow steps.

I've worked on a few laptops over the years, lid hinges and power plugs are the biggest weak points. In fact everyone should be careful when the power cord is plugged in. It's just a cheap plastic piece the power plugs into that cracks easily.

Another thing, when I work on a laptop there's a ton of parts and screws to keep track of. I get a large piece of cardboard (pizza box works great) and draw an outline of the laptop. When I take off a screw I poke a hole in the cardboard on the outline where the screw came out and put the screw in there. This helps keep the screws from getting lost and I know which screw goes where.

Comment

Along the same lines, how difficult is it to replace keys? I have an old-ish Compaq from my work and my dog danced all over it one night when I left it on the couch. The keys are broken and basically after having to get it fixed twice because of Phog viruses I'm too embarrassed to take it to IT.

Comment

Snack, a lot of times you can just replace the whole key mat. Fairly easy.

Comment

If it is a company laptop you should definitely take it to the IT Department for repair.

Comment

[quote author=Geezer link=topic=1849.msg20590#msg20590 date=1288611840]
                If it is a company laptop you should definitely take it to the IT Department for repair.
                [/quote]

LOL. I am way too embarrassed. I'd rather just pay for and replace the key mat.

Comment

It is very easy to replace. I have replaced a ton of them. On a bunch of different models. If you need help or live in teh KC area I will replace it for you free of charge.

Comment

[quote author=SnackMantis link=topic=1849.msg20833#msg20833 date=1288654113]
                    [quote author=Geezer link=topic=1849.msg20590#msg20590 date=1288611840]
                    [/quote]

LOL. I am way too embarrassed. I'd rather just pay for and replace the key mat.
                    [/quote]

I worked in Corperate IT for a decade, we don't appreciate end users doing hardware repair of company systems. It's the responsibility of the Department to care for and maintain the systems and trust me, puppies on keyboards is not the most outragous thing that we've heard.

Comment

Nice work. I bought a screen for $107. Fixed it myself using the video link above. Total cost $107 and 20 mins of my time.

Unreal. Three different computer shops wanted $450+ to replace the screen.

Comment

[quote author=WavetheWheat link=topic=1849.msg21244#msg21244 date=1288740486]
                        Nice work. I bought a screen for $107. Fixed it myself using the video link above. Total cost $107 and 20 mins of my time.

[/quote]

Comment

[quote author=WavetheWheat link=topic=1849.msg21244#msg21244 date=1288740486]

[/quote]

:piitb: :piitb: :piitb: :piitb: :piitb: :piitb: :piitb: :piitb:

Comment

Working...
                          X