Passion VS Profit Business Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passion VS Profit Business Models

That's my take on the whole WTW and TOS situation. TOS used to be a much better place with rainbows, puppies, and midgets. You can argue TL had a passion for the board. That's the Passion Business Model. You do something because you love it and damn conformity. You encourage the crazy and embrace it.

Now it seems the desire for profit has taken hold and TOS is now following the Profit Business Model. Decisions are made based on how mainstream users will react. You can also refer to it as "selling your soul". People are complaining because there seems to be varying standards applied by different mods. That happens when you move from the passion business model to the profit business model, not everyone can be on the same page. This happens all the time. Fark was once a great place to hang but is now a shell because of the profit business model. Remember the Royals when Kaufman loved the team and had more money than God to pour into it? Now it's just another Walmart store.

BTW, if WTW wants to change to the profit business model warn me ahead of time so I can leave before it changes from Brett Favre 2008 into Brett Favre 2010.

Another thing, I have ads blocked, seriously blocked on my browser. It never bothered me on TOS because they constantly pushed their premium crap on the masses. I didn't mind not contributing by blocking ad revenue because of that. On here there's no premium so I feel I should be contributing some coin to the upkeep. Is there a paypal account or some way to pass a few pesos to the cause? I'm not trying to start a 'send money to WTW' campaign. I canceled my Total Fark subscription and figured I can throw some money at a site running on the passion business model. Plus, the mods suck here and need some mod training manuals :devil:

Well the mods really don't suck that bad here. I might have embellished that part a bit.

Re: Passion VS Profit Business Models

This is a great post. Honestly I have never through about having a paypal account. It's worth looking into. However I have no desire to put "Donate to Us" buttons all over the place. Have to find a VERY subtle way to add that. Also, 100% of funds brought in would be put to advertising the site, tailgates, etc. I have no desire to make a dime on this site, unless of course some large corporation wants to purchase us.... then I'm selling my soul. :devil:

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=1827.msg20121#msg20121 date=1288404692]
      This is a great post. Honestly I have never through about having a paypal account. It's worth looking into. However I have no desire to put "Donate to Us" buttons all over the place. Have to find a VERY subtle way to add that. Also, 100% of funds brought in would be put to advertising the site, tailgates, etc. I have no desire to make a dime on this site, unless of course some large corporation wants to purchase us.... then I'm selling my soul. :devil:
      [/quote]

Does clicking on the ads at the bottom contribute to revenue?

Comment

Yeh..... like $.02 per click.

Comment

Donate Button at bottom of page. Will make it look better, but for now it works, for those that are interested.

Comment

holy shit....I'll click those all day if we can share revenue....I'll take 3%

Comment

I'm currently looking into an associates degree from the University of Phoenix.

Comment

[quote author=dewarsrocks link=topic=1827.msg20107#msg20107 date=1288400908]
                Well the mods really don't suck that bad here. I might have embellished that part a bit.
                [/quote]

I don't?

Comment

Re: Re: Passion VS Profit Business Models

[quote author=Jhawk2001 link=topic=1827.msg20151#msg20151 date=1288413851]
                  I'm currently looking into an associates degree from the University of Phoenix.
                  [/quote]

I have a masters and phd from everest, son.

Comment

[quote author=Evolvehawk link=topic=1827.msg20166#msg20166 date=1288423747]
                    [quote author=dewarsrocks link=topic=1827.msg20107#msg20107 date=1288400908]
                    [/quote]

I don't?
                    [/quote]

Try harder

Comment

[quote author=ICThawk link=topic=1827.msg20121#msg20121 date=1288404692]
                      [/quote]

ICT, you may want to inquire with someone who knows what the tax ramifications are of you accepting donations, etc. FWIW.

Comment

I donated tree-fitty yesterday. It felt awesome.

Comment

Working...
                        X