The Respectful Angel of Death Thread: Another One Bites The Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Protist View Post
    Sooo...Chick Corea? Nothing? I guess the piano is also dead. And jazz. Probably for the best. Anyway, musical legend Chick Corea dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfox...nel=ChickCorea
    I would have thought he did a long time ago. Hasn't he been around "Forever?"

Edit: Just looked him up. He hasn't been around as long as I thought he was. I know my dad has a lot of jazz music and I associated him with the Jazz artists of the 60s, but he really didn't start working in the industry until the 70s.

Comment

• Sad day for conservatives

Comment

• Rush Limbaugh was never someone I appreciated, but he died today.

Comment

• He has brainwashed immeasurable amounts of olds/boomers and is all around awful so I cannot be respectful about him.

Comment

• I was a teenager in the mid 1980s when I first heard Rush on the radio in California. My grandfather was listening to him and I was in the backseat. I thought Limbaugh sounded like a terrible man. He was making fun of the Rev. Jesse Jackson and he kept saying Jackson's name in a highly derogatory manner. I instantly thought he was a bad person. I never lost that feeling about him. He did more to kindle the “culture war” than anyone else at the time.

Comment

• I have it on good authority that there is no reason to despair on account of that on the third day Rush will rise again.

Comment

• RIP Rush.

Comment

• I don't celebrate anyone's death, but the world is a kinder, more peaceful, and more loving place without him in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
                    I don't celebrate anyone's death, but the world is a kinder, more peaceful, and more loving place without him in it.
                    I think you may be surprised to find out that the world won't be a better place now that he has passed- nor will it be a worse place; and you'll further find that the anger that occupied your mind and heart for him is still there and will remain there because he is merely an idol of something you harbor a much deeper hatred of.. Now, I'm not a fan of the man, but I do have a high threshold for people who's death I celebrate (Hitler, Stalin, Ivan the Terrible, etc..) and Rush doesn't even move the needle on 'evil' for me. Maybe people just need a brief history lesson before they throw Rush in with that lot. There is a difference between not liking somebody- and hating somebody. And if you hated Rush, then you don't have enough going on in your life; and when people pass who I don't like, I don't celebrate it. But you go right on ahead and do you and celebrate his death- just don't expect it to help you or the world..

Comment

• I disagree with you moderately strongly, Stew, and your assessment of me and my thoughts are wrong. But that's .... ok.

Comment

• Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
                        I disagree with you moderately strongly, Stew, and your assessment of me and my thoughts are wrong. But that's .... ok.
                        Yeah Gard, I think I may have just posted at you what I wanted to say to the 50+ people who hit me up yesterday happy about his death. I mean, I’m mostly ambivalent about Rush dying; but to so many of my friends and family it was like some murderous fascist dictator who tortured their dog had died. But you didn’t really say all that, so.. my bad.

Comment

• No worries Stew! I saw a lot of people rejoicing, and while internally I do think he was a large net negative on our country and the world, and while I wasn't sad at all, I do think it's bad form to rejoice in people's deaths (unless it's a Hitler, Stalin, etc. like you mentioned). And I can see why white heterosexual conservative males don't get why people are so happy about it, but if you're not in that demographic, it's blatantly obvious why he was so terrible. Plus, his terribleness was amplified because he had a massive platform to spread said terribleness, which he did with abandon, which infected countless others with the aforementioned terribleness. Our world is terribler because of him; ergo, because he is no longer a superspreader of hate and misinformation, the world is a kinder, more peaceful, and more loving place without him in it, which is my original thesis.

Comment

• Originally posted by soapboxstew View Post

I think you may be surprised to find out that the world won't be a better place now that he has passed- nor will it be a worse place; and you'll further find that the anger that occupied your mind and heart for him is still there and will remain there because he is merely an idol of something you harbor a much deeper hatred of.. Now, I'm not a fan of the man, but I do have a high threshold for people who's death I celebrate (Hitler, Stalin, Ivan the Terrible, etc..) and Rush doesn't even move the needle on 'evil' for me. Maybe people just need a brief history lesson before they throw Rush in with that lot. There is a difference between not liking somebody- and hating somebody. And if you hated Rush, then you don't have enough going on in your life; and when people pass who I don't like, I don't celebrate it. But you go right on ahead and do you and celebrate his death- just don't expect it to help you or the world..
                            I’m surprised you don’t think the world will be a better place without him. I think it’s easy to dismiss these guys as blowhards, just like people did with Trump, but they have real influence on people and they wield it in really negative ways. Rush’s covid agenda alone surely cost many elderly people their lives.

When someone is that influential, and their business is peddling hate, the world gets just the tiniest bit brighter when they leave it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

I’m surprised you don’t think the world will be a better place without him. I think it’s easy to dismiss these guys as blowhards, just like people did with Trump, but they have real influence on people and they wield it in really negative ways.
                              Yep. I temped at a family friend's manufacturing warehouse for a few months many years ago. The full-timers there were (from what I could tell) very hard-working, nice folks who were dedicated to making a living and providing for their families, but they were not well-educated and would play Rush's show on a little boombox near their line because "he tells it like it is."

Comment

• Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post

Yep. I temped at a family friend's manufacturing warehouse for a few months many years ago. The full-timers there were (from what I could tell) very hard-working, nice folks who were dedicated to making a living and providing for their families, but they were not well-educated and would play Rush's show on a little boombox near their line because "he tells it like it is."
                                Did this lead you to believe that only uneducated folks listen to his show? Or that only uneducated people are capable of following a charismatic blowhard? Or did that just come from your liberal arts "education"?

Comment

Working...
                                X