Squirrels...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squirrels...

One of those fucking things got into my house. I think they came in through a hole under the roof, crawled down through the walls, and can though the hanging ceiling in the basement. Damn thing was sitting on top of a lamp in the living room when I got home from work. I got it to go out through the front door, with some help from the cat.

Those little fuckers got in 2 years ago. They are a pain in the ass. I've set-up a perimeter with traps and put up some temporary covers on the holes. Such a pain.

Re: Squirrels...

You need a gun. You never know what one of those things will do to your wife or kids.

Comment

About ready to get something. I've got neighbors with dogs all around me. I think those little fuckers think this is a safe haven.

Comment

When I was a little kid my parents had some squirrels that would get into the attic. One winter one of the damn thins fell down into the wall the divided the kitchen from the formal dining room. The wall just happened to be the one with the stove right in front of it. The exterminator told my parents that it probably went down there to get warm, and would eventually starve to death. He said it shouldn't smell or anything as the wall would keep it in.

After a few days we could hear the damn thing scratching at the wall. The exterminator said there was no way it could make it through all the drywall, so we shouldn't worry. Well, one day my parents leave us kids at the house and we hear the scratching and don't think anything of it. Then all of a sudden we hear a huge CRASH coming from the area. We run into the room and there is a nice hole in the wall, and a little statue we had was laying on the floor without a head attached.

We FLIPPED out. It was like a scene out of Christmas Vacation. The thing went up the Christmas tree and was screeching at us. It kept trying to jump out of the tree, but it would hit the windows and fall to the ground. My parents came home to my brother and I (ages like 9 & 2) sitting on the back of the couch screaming, and my sister (age 14) holding the door open screaming "Here squirrely squirrely!"

Ever since then... I HATE squirrels!

Comment

I'm a student on the KU Campus.

I have learned to not trust squirrels. They are up to something.

Comment

Comment

Squirrels are very very wary of my yard. Dogs has made examples of 2 of them and a chipmunk. Though to be fair, back when I had the basset one of the squirrels got a good lick in , cut the big vein on the ear. Took 5 staples to close. Razor sharp claws they have.

Comment

yeah get a dog. I have had labs and all i have to do is say squirrels and they freak out and run to the back door. They also freak out if i say get em because they think I'm talking about the squirrels. They bust out the door like bats outta hell and run around the yard looking for one til they spot it.

My old dog would hide under the porch (for hours I'm gonna guess) til one would brave the dangers and he'd bust out and kill it. It was always fun to come home from school and him drop a dead bird/squirrel/mole at my feet and bark at me like he wanted to play fetch.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=1756.msg19391#msg19391 date=1288208110]
                  yeah get a dog. I have had labs and all i have to do is say squirrels and they freak out and run to the back door. They also freak out if i say get em because they think I'm talking about the squirrels. They bust out the door like bats outta hell and run around the yard looking for one til they spot it.

My old dog would hide under the porch (for hours I'm gonna guess) til one would brave the dangers and he'd bust out and kill it. It was always fun to come home from school and him drop a dead bird/squirrel/mole at my feet and bark at me like he wanted to play fetch.
                  [/quote]

I almost got a dog after the last squirrel attacks in 2008, but held off. Now I'm married and I'm not sure she go for a dog right now. Maybe if she found the squirrel, I would have had a better argument.

Comment

just drop some snakes into your walls. seriously, wtf is wrong with you all?

Comment

First off: anything that you put up to patch holes (short of steel mesh) will be broken into in short order. Squirrels roost in families, and if you cut them off from either the inside or outside, they will eat through anything you put up there. They won't just look for a new place to live.

Use traps. When you trap them, either release them 5-10 miles away or drown them. Squirrels have an amazing ability to memorize locations (they hide nuts all over the place and need to remember their locations), so you have to release them a way's away from your house.

Comment

[quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1756.msg19413#msg19413 date=1288209548]
                        First off: anything that you put up to patch holes (short of steel mesh) will be broken into in short order. Squirrels roost in families, and if you cut them off from either the inside or outside, they will eat through anything you put up there. They won't just look for a new place to live.

Use traps. When you trap them, either release them 5-10 miles away or drown them. Squirrels have an amazing ability to memorize locations (they hide nuts all over the place and need to remember their locations), so you have to release them a way's away from your house.
                        [/quote]

The most helpful pineapple of all.

Comment

[quote author=Jhawk2001 link=topic=1756.msg19417#msg19417 date=1288209666]
                          [quote author=RandytheHelpfulPineapple link=topic=1756.msg19413#msg19413 date=1288209548]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is all true and I practiced it the last time I had issues. Those little fuckers are dumb, but the don't stop. I've put up steel mesh over the hole, but need to go back and fortify the holes for weather-proof purposes. I've got 3 live traps setup by the holes. Last time I took them across the Kansas River and dumped them in North Lawrence.

Comment

[quote author=CStop link=topic=1756.msg19423#msg19423 date=1288210606]
                            [quote author=Jhawk2001 link=topic=1756.msg19417#msg19417 date=1288209666]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is all true and I practiced it the last time I had issues. Those little fuckers are dumb, but the don't stop. I've put up steel mesh over the hole, but need to go back and fortify the holes for weather-proof purposes. I've got 3 live traps setup by the holes. Last time I took them across the Kansas River and dumped them in North Lawrence.
                            [/quote]

You need to dump them in the river, or heed my advice and get a gun.

Comment

I used to live on East 19th Street in Lawrence. There was an old man (70+) who'd go outside and chase squirrels out of his yard every day. We'd get drunk and laugh endlessly at him and the broom handle he'd swat at them with. My own father just uses a air rifle and kills the little bastards with no remorse whatsoever. Or he sets traps and then drowns them.

Comment

Working...
                              X