Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are SEVENTH flattest bitches...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • We are SEVENTH flattest bitches...

    Link - KU.edu Kansas 7th flattest state


    The researchers first gridded the nation into 90-meter cells and categorized each cell as not flat, flat, flatter or flattest. Each state then was measured in terms of percentage flat, flatter and flattest as well as absolute area in each category.

    And — guess what? Kansas didn’t even crack the top five U.S. states for flatness.

    By any measure, Florida takes the prize for the flattest state in the nation because the highest point in the state is only 345 feet above sea level. Then Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, Minnesota and Delaware follow. Kansas merely ranks seventh in flatness.

    The findings appear in the current issue of the Geographical Review, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Geographical Society. Dobson hopes the research will help dispel the myth that Kansas is so formidably flat.

    “In 2012, I led the AGS’ Geographic Knowledge and Values Survey,” he said. “One of our questions was, ‘What is the flattest state?’ and we received more than 4,000 responses nationwide. The largest number of people — 33 percent — erroneously guessed that Kansas is the flattest state.”
    The researchers first gridded the nation into 90-meter cells and categorized each cell as not flat, flat, flatter or flattest. Each state then was measured in terms of percentage flat, flatter and flattest as well as absolute area in each category.
    And — guess what? Kansas didn’t even crack the top five U.S. states for flatness.
    By any measure, Florida takes the prize for the flattest state in the nation becuase the highest point in the state is only 345 feet above sea level. Then Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, Minnesota and Delaware follow. Kansas merely ranks seventh in flatness.
    The findings appear in the current issue of the Geographical Review, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Geographical Society. Dobson hopes the research will help dispel the myth that Kansas is so formidably flat.
    “In 2012, I led the AGS’ Geographic Knowledge and Values Survey,” he said. “One of our questions was, ‘What is the flattest state?’ and we received more than 4,000 responses nationwide. The largest number of people — 33 percent — erroneously guessed that Kansas is the flattest state.”
    - See more at: http://news.ku.edu/2014/02/06/resear....fVcVCtvs.dpuf
    The researchers first gridded the nation into 90-meter cells and categorized each cell as not flat, flat, flatter or flattest. Each state then was measured in terms of percentage flat, flatter and flattest as well as absolute area in each category.
    And — guess what? Kansas didn’t even crack the top five U.S. states for flatness.
    By any measure, Florida takes the prize for the flattest state in the nation becuase the highest point in the state is only 345 feet above sea level. Then Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, Minnesota and Delaware follow. Kansas merely ranks seventh in flatness.
    The findings appear in the current issue of the Geographical Review, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Geographical Society. Dobson hopes the research will help dispel the myth that Kansas is so formidably flat.
    “In 2012, I led the AGS’ Geographic Knowledge and Values Survey,” he said. “One of our questions was, ‘What is the flattest state?’ and we received more than 4,000 responses nationwide. The largest number of people — 33 percent — erroneously guessed that Kansas is the flattest state.”
    - See more at: http://news.ku.edu/2014/02/06/resear....fVcVCtvs.dpuf

    The researchers first gridded the nation into 90-meter cells and categorized each cell as not flat, flat, flatter or flattest. Each state then was measured in terms of percentage flat, flatter and flattest as well as absolute area in each category.
    And — guess what? Kansas didn’t even crack the top five U.S. states for flatness.
    By any measure, Florida takes the prize for the flattest state in the nation becuase the highest point in the state is only 345 feet above sea level. Then Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, Minnesota and Delaware follow. Kansas merely ranks seventh in flatness.
    The findings appear in the current issue of the Geographical Review, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Geographical Society. Dobson hopes the research will help dispel the myth that Kansas is so formidably flat.
    “In 2012, I led the AGS’ Geographic Knowledge and Values Survey,” he said. “One of our questions was, ‘What is the flattest state?’ and we received more than 4,000 responses nationwide. The largest number of people — 33 percent — erroneously guessed that Kansas is the flattest state.”
    - See more at: http://news.ku.edu/2014/02/06/resear....fVcVCtvs.dpuf

  • #2
    SUCK IT MINNESOTA.

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't mess with Kansas, Either!

      Don't mess with Kansas, Either!

      Don't mess with Kansas, Either!

      Don't mess with Kansas, Either!

      Comment


      • #4
        This isn't news to anyone who's lived around Kansas for any length of time. I got into an online "argument" with an idiot from Illinois (of all places - 2nd flattest state) who was giving me a hard time about being from a flat, featureless State. He'd obviously never been to Kansas, just bought into the rumors.

        My understand is that the stereotype of Kansas being a very flat state comes from the fact that people traveling from Kansas to California in "the old days" followed the Santa Fe trail which ran along the Arkansas River Valley through much of the state. Add to this the fact that once they left Kansas, they got into the Rocky Mountains, and the contrast left people with the sense that Kansas was much flatter than it is.

        Still, the stereotype persists, and I doubt this one study is going to change that, unless we go to war with Colorado and take back the parts of Colorado that were initially part of the Kansas Territory, which included much of the Front Range and Pike's Peak area.

        Comment


        • #5
          It has been said that the pioneers in the olden days would utter, when they were approaching the continental divide, "Sonny, we're not in Kansas anymore." And that's how we got the saying that is in use today.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
            This isn't news to anyone who's lived around Kansas for any length of time. I got into an online "argument" with an idiot from Illinois (of all places - 2nd flattest state) who was giving me a hard time about being from a flat, featureless State. He'd obviously never been to Kansas, just bought into the rumors.

            My understand is that the stereotype of Kansas being a very flat state comes from the fact that people traveling from Kansas to California in "the old days" followed the Santa Fe trail which ran along the Arkansas River Valley through much of the state. Add to this the fact that once they left Kansas, they got into the Rocky Mountains, and the contrast left people with the sense that Kansas was much flatter than it is.

            Still, the stereotype persists, and I doubt this one study is going to change that, unless we go to war with Colorado and take back the parts of Colorado that were initially part of the Kansas Territory, which included much of the Front Range and Pike's Peak area.
            We may not need to go to war. They are currently trying to secede and start there own state unhappy with liberals in Denver/Boulder passing legislation that doesn't help them. With all the natural gas there we would happily oblige taking it off Colorado's hands even if it does make us the flattest state in union.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WavetheWheat View Post
              We may not need to go to war. They are currently trying to secede and start there own state unhappy with liberals in Denver/Boulder passing legislation that doesn't help them. With all the natural gas there we would happily oblige taking it off Colorado's hands even if it does make us the flattest state in union.


              Taking Northern Colorado would also give KSU an in state rival when they move the the Mountain West.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
                Taking Northern Colorado would also give KSU an in state rival when they move the the Mountain West.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I guess Kansas doesn't need a boob apron after all.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X