Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Maple Syrup

Pure Maple Syrup.

Do not make the mistake that I did and discover Pure Maple Syrup (relatively) late in your life. More expensive...yes, of course. And yes, the Real Thing needs to be refridgerated. But it is light years better than than MrsButterworth (or whatever fake BS you are currently pouring down the thoats of your kids via your Sunday morning pancakes). Yes...more expensive but in a different universe tastewise. And it just HAS to be better for you....(just read the label on Aunt Jemimah, sometime.)

I discovered the wonder of Pure Maple Syrup on a Job rotation that send the Robinsons to Wisconsin for several years. Snowshoeing through the Northwoods during the Sugar Maple run....the whole nine yards. My only regret is that I discovered it relatively late in life.

A couple of Maple Syrup basics. Two basic grades...A&B. (Clever, huh?)

Grade A is lighter, thinner and MUCH more delicately flavored. (More expensive, too.) Produced from "high grade" sugar maple sap. it is boiled for a shorter period of time to reach the required "Brix" (sweetness) level that defines "syrup". (Raw Sugar Maple sap is very thin and watery...barely discernable from water in sweetness. It has to be cooked for a long periond of time to concentrate sweetness and flavor.)

Grade B, coming from lower quality sap, has to be boiled much longer to reach the required Brix level. The biproduct is a much thicker, darker and fuller flavored syrup. The mineral content is the same...it is just thicker, darker and much more fully flavored.

If you are trying Pure Maple Syrup for the first time....start with Grade B. Some people who start with Grade A are disappointed by the relatively mild flavor and thinner viscosity. Grade B is more likely to deliver what you are looking for....at first. (And the price delta between that and what you are using now is much less severe.)

100% Pure Maple Syrup. No additives or preservatives. It will not necessarily cause you to rethink your Life...but it will VERY likely cause you to alter your perspective on Pancake Day or Wauffle Day.

Better yet.... let the kids make you and the Missus (or the Mister) French Toast next Saturday AM. YOU provide the syrup.

Just don't wait too late in life to discover The Real Thing.

respectfully, rj
    Last edited by robinsonjim; 10-07-12, 11:59 AM.

You've got it all figured out.

Comment

Yes.

I have found that Costco and Trader Joe's have the best prices.

Comment

It seems that Jim has his answer for the age-old prison question: Jelly or syrup?

Comment

Even better:

Comment

canadian grade B is superior. vermont grade A is superior. neither have to be refrigerated, btw. just keep a quantity open that you'll use up in 6 months. there's no need to make hot waffles cold.

Comment

After my divorce, I decided I was going to eat healthier. I couldn't get my wife to cut HFCS out of our diet while we were married, so I was going to do it on my own. I was surprised what made up "maple syrup" in the grocery aisle. I quickly turned to pure maple syrup and haven't been disappointed.

Comment

Maple syrup snobbery is sooooo WtW.

Comment

RJ, if you ever go into the city on a Saturday (although they may have weird hours now because it's the off season), go to Green City Market. When I worked there, they had a vendor from Burton's Maplewood Farm. Seriously the best maple syrup I've ever had. http://www.greencitymarket.org/farmers/farmer.asp?id=50

Comment

what's the difference?

Comment

Discovered at the ripe old age of 18. My wife's family in Massachusetts makes it.

Comment

Originally posted by pahlen62 View Post
                        After my divorce, I decided I was going to eat healthier. I couldn't get my wife to cut HFCS out of our diet while we were married, so I was going to do it on my own. I was surprised what made up "maple syrup" in the grocery aisle. I quickly turned to pure maple syrup and haven't been disappointed.
                        That is how I came to use it as well. I don't buy anything with HFCS for my kids, which pretty much eliminates all "regular" syrups.

Comment

Originally posted by SnackMantis View Post
                          RJ, if you ever go into the city on a Saturday (although they may have weird hours now because it's the off season), go to Green City Market. When I worked there, they had a vendor from Burton's Maplewood Farm. Seriously the best maple syrup I've ever had. http://www.greencitymarket.org/farmers/farmer.asp?id=50

Count on it, Snack. Thankx for the heads up.

Comment

I discovered Pure Maple Syrup from a Maple Glazed salmon recipe...it is fantastic

Comment

Aunt/Uncle have a bunch of land up in Wisconsin. They make their own maple syrup. It's phenomenal and is basically like crack it's so addicting.

Comment

Working...
                              X